Database cannot be started, capability 32 missing

Home for older / inactive topics

Database cannot be started, capability 32 missing

Postby Jan Aleman » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:15 pm

UPDATE:
Servoy currently ships with 9.0.1, on the ianywhere download page you can still get 9.0.1 (the latest is 9.0.2). Get 9.0.1 for compatability with Servoy.

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1036185

First when starting Servoy you get:
Code: Select all
Can't connect to the repository server specified in the application preferences.
java.sql.SQLException: JZ006: Caught IOException:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

Then in the sybase_log.txt you see:
E. 08/03 07:27:24. Database cannot be started -- server must be upgraded to start "/Applications/Servoy/database/contact_mgmt.db" (capability 32 missing).

This problem is being caused by creating databases by a newer version of ASA then the one Servoy runs on.
At this point in time Servoy ships with ASA 9.0.0 If you download the Sybase tools (Central et al) from the iAnywhere website they'll give you 9.0.1. The solution is to make sure you're engines have the same version. You can either upgrade your Servoy install to 9.0.1 or you can downgrade your sybase install to 9.0.0

To upgrade:
-Stop Servoy if it is running
-Stop ASA if it is running (on win right click on the SQL icon in the taskbar and choose close, on mac/linux kill the dbsrv9 process)
-Make a backup of your entire Servoy directory (so if the upgrade doesnt succeed you can go back quickly)
On Windows:
find the equivalent of all .exe and .dll files found in the sybase_db directory inside Servoy in the Sybase install (by default: C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere 9\win32) and replace the files in the sybase_db directory.
On Mac:
Replace all files of the files in sybase_db folder with their corresponding ones except charsets, sybase_log.txt and sybase.config. You can find the files in /Applications/SqlAnywhere9/System/ (in the lib, res and bin folders)
On Linux:
Replace all files of the files in sybase_db folder with their corresponding ones except charsets, sybase_log.txt and sybase.config. You can find the files in the directory you installed ASA into (in the lib, res and bin folders)

If you want to downgrade you can perform the opposite procedure. Upgrading however is recommended. If you downgrade you won't be able to open 9.0.1 databases and you'll have to recreate them.[/b]
Last edited by Jan Aleman on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

upgrading tot 9.0.1

Postby bart » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:29 pm

Can I still use the sampledatabase included in Servoy, I tried to upgrade but now I can't connect to the server anymore
bart

Re: upgrading tot 9.0.1

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:27 pm

bart wrote:Can I still use the sampledatabase included in Servoy, I tried to upgrade but now I can't connect to the server anymore

Yes you should be able to use the sample database. What error do you get with it? You can see erros in sybase_log.txt in the sybase_db directory.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

sample database

Postby bart » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:52 pm

I've reinstalled everything so I can't see anymore, but when I upgraded to 9.0.1. I couldn't find the file kibunic.dylib in the Anywherefolder, all the other files I could upgrade
bart

Re: sample database

Postby bart » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:53 pm

bart wrote:I've reinstalled everything so I can't see anymore, but when I upgraded to 9.0.1. I couldn't find the file libunic.dylib in the Anywherefolder, all the other files I could upgrade
bart

upgrading 9.0.1

Postby bart » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:29 pm

I tried to upgrade again and again I get the error message "Can't connect to the repository server specifed in the application preferences" I tried to change the preferences, but I also gave an error "cannot connect to server".
Like I wrote before I didn't find the libunic.dylib file, the only file I couldn't upgrade. I didn't change the charset folder nor sybase_log.txt and sybase.config.
I replaced de sybase_db folder with a copy of the old dbfolder and the samples work again.
bart

Re: upgrading 9.0.1

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:37 pm

whenever you get:
"cannot connect to server".

check your sybase_log.txt file and see what error it shows in the last 15 lines.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

upgrading 9.0.1

Postby bart » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:32 am

The log file doesn't give an error, I think it is because Sybase didn't start when opening Servoy. Before I upgraded I killed the dbsrv process and after upgrading and starting Servoy the dbsrv process didn't start
bart

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:37 am

The whole idea of the logfile is that it tells you why Sybase didnt start if it didnt. On what operating system are you and which version of Servoy did you install?
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

upgrading 9.0.1

Postby bart » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:56 am

I'm using macOS 10.3.5 and use the last version of Servoy 2.1. Yesterday there was an update of Java to 1.4.2. update 2. which was installed by the software update tool of osX. When I can't connect to the repository server which is also a Sybase db, I think the sybase db don't open and perhaps the logfile isn't changed.
Sybase is going to find iAnywhere 9.0 and send it to me.
bart

upgrading 9.0.1

Postby bart » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:23 am

Is it possible that the connection failures are induced bij het change in the sybase config file. I've duplicated the user_data file and changed it's name, then I stopped dbsrv9 changed the config file and tried to start-up again. Servoy gives me the same error, cannot connect to the repository server. When I delete the new db from the config file, the problem is resolved.
bart

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:47 am

That is quite strange as sql anywhere will attempt to load all databases specified in your sybase.config file. If anything fails (file not found, corrupt, etc) then it should log any error in sybase_log.txt. The only case in which it doesn't log in the logfile is when you don't have write access to the logfile. Can you check your permissions? You must have read write permissions to all your database files and your logfile with the user that is launching Servoy. When debugging you can also start ASA manually to find out what might be wrong:
1. Make sure dbsrv9 is not running (if it is stop it using activity monitor (mac) or right click the sql icon in your task bar and choose quite (win))
On Mac open a Terminal and type:
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/Servoy/sybase_db
export PATH=$PATH:/Applications/Servoy/sybase_db
cd /Applications/Servoy/
sybase_db/dbsrv9 @sybase_db/sybase.config

[adjust path as necessary]

On Windows open a command promtpt and type:
set PATH=%PATH%;c:\Program Files\Servoy\sybase_db
cd "C:\Program Files\Servoy"
sybase_db\dbsrv9 @sybase_db\sybase.config
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Re: sample database

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:35 pm

bart wrote:I've reinstalled everything so I can't see anymore, but when I upgraded to 9.0.1. I couldn't find the file libunic.dylib in the Anywherefolder,
all the other files I could upgrade

libdbunic9_r.dylib replaces this file.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Newbe question: Can't connect to the repository server

Postby rik124 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:09 am

Hello Jaleman,
I have done as you prescribed. I've downloaded and installed SQLAnywhere9 and copied the files from the bin, lib and res folders to the sybase_db folder. I left the charsets folder and sybase.config untouched. There is not file with the name sybase_log.txt (anywhere on my computer). I checked, but there was no activity with the name dbsrv9 active when I copied the files.
I've logged out and in again and started Sevoy. Nevertheless I still get the error:
Can't connect to the repository server specified in the application preferences.
java.sql.SQLException: JZ006: Caught IOException:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused

I'm completely new to Servoy and I'm considering the switch from FileMaker Pro to Servoy, but this choice has not been easy so far.
I use an iMac G4 with MacOS X 10.3.7
Servoy Developer
Version R2 2.1.2-build 315
Java version 1.4.2-38 (Mac OS X)

By the way, what's a 'repository server'?
I hope you can help,
Rik
[/quote]
rik124

Postby Morley » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:37 pm

I need to run a process through Sybase Central (generating a database from DAT files which in turn will serve Global Temporary Tables). Downloading SQL Anywhere Studio from Sybase delivers a version of Sybase Central programmed to work with Sybase 9.0.2.

This leads to two questions:
1. Do Temp Tables work with 9.0.1? I assume the answer is yes since Jan Blok discussed the intricacies of Temp Table useage in one of the Servoy Talk threads.

2. How does one obtain a version of Sybase Central which will function in a 9.0.1 environment.

Kind regards,
Morley Chalmers
7Office Inc.
Morley

Next

Return to Archive