How to use non Latin charsets (high unicode) with Servoy

Home for older / inactive topics

How to use non Latin charsets (high unicode) with Servoy

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:17 pm

How to use non Latin charsets (high ASCII, UNICODE, multibyte) with Servoy, ie Chinese , Japanese , Arabic , Hebrew etc etc

IMPORTANT: Servoy does nothing with charsets (no conversion, no mapping, no adjustments, noting), All strings/text in Java are in Unicode which is able to display anything; including chinese,japanese,arabic, etc. In other words: if you use Servoy out of the box it will work with any language on this planet.

If it doesn't work here are some key areas to look at:

1) Database considerations:
-make sure it uses unicode (like UTF8) for character storage
-make sure you use a driver that has UNICODE support
-make sure you inform the driver about your character storage
-by default this is already done for the Servoy Sybase sample databases!

2) Operating system considerations:
2a) Native OS usage: like a Servoy on a Chinese Window XP
-"International" Java Runtime is needed, support for non English languages/charsets, is separate download at Sun website

2b) Non Native OS usage: like a Servoy on a English Window XP displaying Chinese chars
-"International" Java Runtime is needed, support for non English languages/charsets, is separate download at Sun website
-System/OS fonts are needed to display chinese
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby richh » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 am

In 2005 Jan Aleman wrote:
2b) Non Native OS usage: like a Servoy on a English Window XP displaying Chinese chars
-System/OS fonts are needed to display chinese

A quick look at the current (mid 2008) Sun downloads makes no mention of 'international' Java Runtime. Is Jan's comment still valid?
I am asking because I have converted a database from MSSQL to Sybase SQL Anywhere using Sybase Central 'Migration Tool'. Text fields are all NVARCHAR rather than VARCHAR. I can make a valid connection in Servoy, but my solution does not display properly. In fact the screen shows the Servoy brown logo frozen. Servoy Developer remains usable, and no errors are announced. However, when I look in Servoy's Define Data Provider window, I find that the NVARCHAR fields are listed as <unknown>.

Richard Hinder
London
Servoy Developer
Version 3.5.6-build 519
Java version 10.0-b19 (Windows XP)
richh

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:49 am

The two sound unrelated to me. I can't see how a characterset can cause a client to freeze. My first thought would be that it is a different problem. Can you file your solution as a case in our online support system (with data) so our engineers can investigate the problem?
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby richh » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:07 am

Jan thanks for your quick response. Solution has 70MB of sensitive client data so I cannot simply export the solution with data. However, I will take some screen shots and submit these with logs in a new case on your online support system. I will include a description of the way in which the columns marked <unknown> have been generated.
Richard
richh

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:10 am

We understand that in many cases the entire solution cannot be uploaded, in that case please create a smaller one (even 1 record is enough) that reproduces the problem.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Return to Archive