Print with batch

The forum to discuss the Headless version of Servoy. Web, Java and Servlet development questions can all be posted here.

Re: Print with batch

Postby dpearce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Roberto,

Just run our script on two pc's in different buildings, and it printed 200 letters off. It just kept refreshing a single adobe window, which was left open, but with a blank screen at the end.

It certainly didnt seem to use multiple instances of adobe?

So basically worked fine. We are using reader 9.3 normal installation.
dpearce

Postby robysimo09 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi David

I saw many istance of acrobat ( AcroRd32.exe ) in list of process via task manager.
I added the parameter "/n" in your example code; I need multiple istance of acrobat because I have many batch process for print: I cannot wait the end of 1st process but the 2nd must print at the same time. I can set different printer with controller.setPreferredPrinter( printer_name ) to print on different printers.
For example:
the first batch start and print on printer P1.
the second batch start at the same time of the 1st and print on printer P2.
The 2nd batch cannot wait the end of the 1st ( if the 2nd batch print on different printer otherwise is mandatory ).
We could print also 1000 pages at a time.

Thank's David

This is a list of command line for acrobat.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6191 ... -reference
robysimo09

Postby dpearce » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:11 pm

Oh, i see now,
I am no expert at this, but just feeling my way in the dark!

Given the cost of hardware, if this is mission critical printing in bulk, you may be wise to have one PC box for each printer, and then use the scheduler plugin to run every X minutes to start the batch off. That would be one solution.

If you are saying it works with up to 3 instances of acrobat, and you can swap the printers successfully, then maybe if this is the maximum then you could do the above with one pc per 3 printers.

Someone else may have a better suggestion. I was content with one batch job running every hour. The thing though with printers, is that i also wanted someone to check the job had worked before moving all of the printQ records toprint=0 from toprint=1, as i dont trust printers just to keep on churning without jams and misfeeds etc.

Any other suggestions?

David
dpearce

Postby jcompagner » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:12 am

i would also say, just start 1 or more smart clients on the same pc as the server.
configure those to connect to the various printers and let them auto generate (through the scheduler) the reports.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Andrei Costescu » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:36 pm

What you were trying to do in the beginning will work in next Servoy 4 and Servoy 5 releases.
Batch clients and headless clients will execute the print command server-side if there is no printer job specified; but it will not show the print dialog, of course ... even if you ask for it.

So you'll just have to keep your fingers crossed that it will reach the correct printer. And you should use this carefully, so you don't end up filling the server room with paper :).
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby robysimo09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Thank you Andrei!

I will try when servoy 4.1.6 will be released!
When will be released the new release??

Thank's to all for the help!
Bye
Roberto
robysimo09

Previous

Return to Servoy Headless Client