Easy to get up and running

The forum to discuss the Headless version of Servoy. Web, Java and Servlet development questions can all be posted here.

Easy to get up and running

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:32 am

The Servoy Headless Client was extremely easy to get up and running. It worked perfectly the very first time I tried. I look forward to experimenting with other jsp pages.

Thank you to everyone at Servoy!!!

Postby Westy » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:34 am

Oops. That was me. Did not realize that I was not logged in. Thanks to all at Servoy!
Westy

Postby Jan Aleman » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:57 am

Westy wrote:Oops. That was me. Did not realize that I was not logged in. Thanks to all at Servoy!

Thanks! We'll be releasing more sample solutions soon to make it even easier to get started with it. Having participated in quite a few JSP projects before my Servoy days I can say that headless client is by far the easiest way to create any JSP page that links to existing data and business rules.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby faheemhameed » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:59 am

Is it possible to use headless client using PHP?

I had never used JSP.

Thanks
Hameed
Pilot simple software
Hong Kong
faheemhameed

Postby Jan Aleman » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:05 am

faheemhameed wrote:Is it possible to use headless client using PHP?

I had never used JSP.

Thanks

Not at the moment. Now is a great time to learn JSP! A faster, more scalable, more extensible and most importantly SAFER web language than php!
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Bert » Wed Jan 12, 2005 11:31 pm

jaleman wrote:Not at the moment. Now is a great time to learn JSP! A faster, more scalable, more extensible and most importantly SAFER web language than php!

from PDF wrote:To use SHC, you must have some background in programming web applications. Experience with JSP, ASP, PHP, Cold Fusion or Lasso is highly recommended. If you dont have any experience
with these programming environments, we recommend that you first get a book on JSP (there are many good books available in bookstores) or wait until we release Servoy Instant Publishing for Web Browsers.

Hi Jan, can you shine a little light on 'Servoy Instant Publishing' at this point.
Can we compare its functionality with FileMaker Instant Webpublishing where using JSP is a better option with custom made functionality like some used to use CDML with FileMaker?
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:00 am

Bert wrote:Hi Jan, can you shine a little light on 'Servoy Instant Publishing' at this point.
Can we compare its functionality with FileMaker Instant Webpublishing where using JSP is a better option with custom made functionality like some used to use CDML with FileMaker?

The idea of Servoy Instant publishing is that you code zero pages but do all UI and business rules in Servoy.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Bert » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:12 am

jaleman wrote:The idea of Servoy Instant publishing is that you code zero pages but do all UI and business rules in Servoy.

So with Servoy Instant publishing we can build and publish complete JavaServer Pages (.jsp) from within Servoy?
Why should we get a book and learn about JSP? In other words what can JSP coding add extra to these pages wich are already done with Servoy Instant publishing, or can we do additional JSP coding and therefore add some extra functionality from within Servoy?
I'm a newbie concerning JSP and Java, but it's (getting) quiet interesting and of course it's better to have some basic knowledge about these issues knowing what is happening in the background.
Bert de Graaff
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:27 am

With SIP (Servoy Instant Publishing) you don't code JSP's and you dont have to worry about any web-tech.

With headless client you code your own JSP's or Servlets (programming experience is a MUST). If you don't have prior PHP, ASP, Lasso, etc knowledge this will require a lot of time. If you already have php,asp, etc knowledge it's very easy. In fact way easier and way more powerful.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Bert » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:40 am

OK thanks, any time frame known about the introduction of Servoy Instant Publishing because I've got a project for it :o
Bert de Graaff
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:52 am

If you have a current project you will have to consider other possiblilities. SIP is not in the stage that we can stick to a date. You could consider co-operating with a developer that has a web-background and build it with headless client.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby david » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:56 am

I finally spent some time putting headless client through it's paces the last couple of days. Wow, easy stuff. Maybe too easy -- I could see myself using it for everything web related (would be great for the Servoy Magazine site -- one of these days I need to get it off of TypePad) except that the client licensing model makes it prohibitive for general use (so back to regular jsp and lasso). Any plans on selling a web server version of Servoy that has unlimited web access?

Fantastic technology guys. In the right situations this blows anything else out of the water. Automatic session control and security, data change broadcasting to all Servoy clients, option to use JSP or Servoy methods for business rules, can be accessed by any Java application (basically making anything with a processor a potential Servoy client), even I18N support -- brilliant.

And if SIP works anything like advertised...watch out for the influx of business users.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby bcusick » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:55 pm

Hi David,

We agree that the potential for the SIP is really good. :D

We are talking about the possibility of having a processor-based license... it's just one of MANY issues that need to be worked about before SIP is a reality.

REMEMBER, though - that once the JSP session expires - the client license becomes available again. SO - if you expire your JSP sessions promptly what's the MAX number of CONCURRENT users you've EVER had on your site? 50? 100? 200? My guess is - like 99% of all sites - 50 or less. That means you only need 50 clients (about $12,500). You will save that amount just in programming costs on your FIRST site.

:D
Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby david » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:29 am

bcusick wrote:REMEMBER, though - that once the JSP session expires - the client license becomes available again. SO - if you expire your JSP sessions promptly what's the MAX number of CONCURRENT users you've EVER had on your site? 50? 100? 200? My guess is - like 99% of all sites - 50 or less. That means you only need 50 clients (about $12,500). You will save that amount just in programming costs on your FIRST site.

Point well taken. Umm...off to play with it some more....
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Return to Servoy Headless Client