What do I need on my server to run SHC ?

The forum to discuss the Headless version of Servoy. Web, Java and Servlet development questions can all be posted here.

What do I need on my server to run SHC ?

Postby Kahuna » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:58 pm

Still looking for general answers to get a 'big picture' of what Servoy might do for me!

If I want to deploy an SHC of my app - what do I need to have on my web server?

Is it possible to deploy on a public (shared / virtual) Linux server - the same one I use to host my website?

Or is a dedicated server required?

As always - appreciate any feedback!

Cheers
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby Harry Catharell » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:45 pm

Hi Kahuna,

Any reason why you have plumped for SHC as the deployment method when Servoy V3 has the new Web Client included with it ?

There is a whitepaper available here which describes the essentials:
http://www.servoy.com/generic.jsp?mt=396&taxonomy_id=595

Hope that this helps
Cheers
Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby Kahuna » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:38 pm

Hi Harry - thanks for that feedback.

As you know I'm really investigating the entire Servoy set of possibilities, and it seems that the SHC is the option that requires no JVM footprint on a users machine.

I suspect we'll use all of the deployment methods if we go the Servoy route, but one of the critical questions I need to answer is 'how can we deploy with zero installation'? SHC seems like a possible route.

We are also reviewing virtualisation for deployment too (of non Servoy tools I mean) where our DLL and registry entries don't cause us as many headaches.

Cheers
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby Harry Catharell » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:56 am

Ah, then check out the Web Client which is part of the V3.0 release

It also requires no JVM footprint and needs only a browser to run it !

The instance which runs the Web Client handles the session characteristics at the Servoy server end.

Just like any environment separation, there are some things which you can and cannot do inside a browser window in respect of your solution - but as long as you live within these limits then you can have a fully functioning rich web application running inside a browser

The combination of zero deployment thin client plus SHC plus Web Client is a fairly comprehensive set of options which is sure to fit most if not all of your requirements

Cheers
Harry
Harry Catharell

Postby Kahuna » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:23 am

Again Harry - most appreciate your feedback.

The Web Client was my first choice but from all of the documentation I understood that the SHC was the only client that did not require any installation on a user PC.

One of the aims of this new development is that our users can jump on a PC (possibly offshore on a rig) and log-on to the app. Considering that user will not have any admin rights on that PC he will be able to do no more than run the browser - no installs at all, no shortcuts can be added and certainly no settings changed on the PC itself.

Is that what Web Client is capable of doing? Did I get it wrong?

Cheers Harry
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby ngervasi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:31 am

Kahuna wrote:Is that what Web Client is capable of doing? Did I get it wrong?

Cheers Harry

Yes, the Web client can do that. All you need to do is point a browser to the server Ip address and you're done. No JVM, no browser plugins, open the url and start working.
The only caveat I can think of is that by default the webclient uses port 8080 and some really conservative Internet Cafe could block this port. Anyway it is not difficult to change the settings and use a standard port like 80.
:)
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby ROCLASI » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:53 am

You can say WebClient is SHC on steroids (actually it *is* SHC on steroids... ;) ).
With SHC you have to create your own JSP code to let a user interact with a solution.
WebClient does all that for you on the fly.

Also keep in mind you can change the default port from 8080 to anything you like. So if you need to use port 80 you can set it up to do so.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby Kahuna » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:10 am

Wow - excellent stuff folks - this really is a great forum for guidance!

Still have a couple of questions regarding the set-up and functionality of a server for the WebClient / SHC?
Is it possible to deploy on a public (shared / virtual) Linux server - the same one I use to host my website?

Thanks so much for the help to date - Servoy is becoming more and more attractive to us!

Cheers
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby ngervasi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:17 am

Kahuna wrote:Is it possible to deploy on a public (shared / virtual) Linux server - the same one I use to host my website?

Servoy Server app is the one who does all the magic but you can install it in your linux server alongside apache so the answer is: yes, you need to serve the webclient "pages" from the servoy server app but you can install it wherever you like: linux, BSD, MacOSX, even Windows (if you dare...) all you need is a platform who supports java 1.5+. And: yes you can install it even on a virtual system (VMware, etc).
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby Kahuna » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:28 am

Thanks for that Nicola
Servoy Server app is the one who does all the magic but you can install it in your linux server alongside apache so the answer is: yes, you need to serve the webclient "pages" from the servoy server app but you can install it wherever you like: linux, BSD, MacOSX, even Windows (if you dare...)

Yes I know it can be installed on those systems / platforms. My question really is -

If I use a public server managed by a hosting company (some call them virtual servers because they are shared - I didn't mean VMWare in this instance) is it typically possible to install Servoy Server there - or would I need to have a dedicated server?

Some hosting companies limit you to CGI PHP and a few other services. So does Servoy Server need to be 'INSTALLED' on the server or is it simply copied to a directory?

Cheers
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby ngervasi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:33 am

Kahuna wrote:Some hosting companies limit you to CGI PHP and a few other services. So does Servoy Server need to be 'INSTALLED' on the server or is it simply copied to a directory?

Cheers

Servoy server is a Java app so you can install it on a local server and then copy the install directory to your virtual server (it doesn't spawn anything outside of the target dir) but keep in mind that you will need java 1.5 installed and configured on the virtual server and that you will need to be able to actually start the application. Contact your provider to be sure you can do all of the above. Keep also in mind that you will need a DB server too on the virtual machine.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby Kahuna » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:45 am

Thanks again Nicola

Right now we have all of our hosts running MySQL or MSSQL DBMS so thats not an issue.

Being so naive on Java I really don't know if it would be installed as native on our servers - though I do know java script runs on some of our web pages right out of the box.

But I think the last point would be the problem - starting the app on a public server. I suspect a dedicated server would be required rather than the shared solutions we typically use! Expensive!

Cheers
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby ngervasi » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:11 pm

Kahuna wrote:Thanks again Nicola

Right now we have all of our hosts running MySQL or MSSQL DBMS so thats not an issue.

Being so naive on Java I really don't know if it would be installed as native on our servers - though I do know java script runs on some of our web pages right out of the box.

If you want to test java simply input at the command prompt of your server:

Code: Select all
java -version

Kahuna wrote:But I think the last point would be the problem - starting the app on a public server. I suspect a dedicated server would be required rather than the shared solutions we typically use! Expensive!

Cheers

The point here is what kind of service is giving you your provider.
If it is just hosting your web pages and giving you access to a database for content then you cannot use Servoy server, you are limited to upload html, php or js pages and you can't RUN your own processes on the server.
If your provider is giving you access to a virtual server then you should (check with your provider) be able to run your own apps on the server, usually the only difference from a virtual server and a dedicated server is that in the same phisical machine they host several indipendent virtual servers for several customers.
Does your provider gives you access to your virtual server via SSH? If yes you shouldn't have problems in setting up your servoy server.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby Kahuna » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:25 pm

Does your provider gives you access to your virtual server via SSH?

Yes I have SSH to all of the servers but I have asked the question of the provider!

The fact that Servoy allocates 2Mb of memory per connection might cause some consternation at the providers - though I have managed to determine that they do allow some game servers to start/run.

I'll get there (an understanding of the Servoy concepts I mean) yet!
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Follow - Up

Postby Kahuna » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:05 pm

Taking advice from some of you good folks, I chatted with one of our service providers (web host) about the possibility of running the Java platform and Servoy Server from our web location.

Here's what I asked them:
=================
I have a Business Pro Account and I'd like to set-up a Servoy Server
in my web space.

This requires that I copy files to my web space, then use SSH to start
the server and connect to my MySQL database. It also requires Java 1.5 or better to be available on the Host server.

Is this possible? Is it allowable in your terms?
=================
Here's their response (not sure if they get it - but then again not sure I do yet!)
=================
You can use SSH to connect to your sql database, however, if what you mean by the java 1.5 is java server, none from the shared hosting account supports this. This might be installable to Root dedicated server only.
=================

Any comments?
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Next

Return to Servoy Headless Client