How does streamFilesToServer works ?

Questions, tips and tricks and techniques for scripting in Servoy

Re: How does streamFilesToServer works ?

Postby ptalbot » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:36 am

I have found a problem with the web implementation of the streamFilesToServer() method.
Basically you cannot use "/apath/" + file.getName() because file.getName() returns a full path and not a name (this is coming from the commons file_upload lib), so for example on windows, this will give you a path of '/apath/c:/whatever/myfile.jpg' which is not valid and gives you the exception you had.

I have fixed this so that you can give the path like this:
Code: Select all
plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file,'/sub1/sub2/', callbackMethod);

For example, this now works in web client:
function onActionFile(event) {
   plugins.file.showFileOpenDialog(sendFile);
}

function sendFile(files) {
   if (files) {
      // note that files here is actually an array, so you can do this:
      for (var i = 0; i < files.length; i++) {
         var file = files[i];
         plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file,'/sub1/sub2/', uploadFinished);
      }
      // or simply this:
      plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(files,'/sub1/sub2/', uploadFinished);
   }
}

function uploadFinished(result, ex) {
   if (ex) {
      application.output(ex);
   } else {
      application.output(result.getAbsolutePath());
   }
}

In this example, '/sub1/sub2/' will automatically be created on the server in the upload folder declared (or by default in /application_server/server/webapps/ROOT/uploads/), and the files will be put inside this location on the server.

You can also change the name of the file on the server if you prefer, by giving it a full path (with the new file name included), so:
plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file,'/sub1/sub2/newFileName.jpg', callbackMethod);

will also work.

Try it with the attached plugin jar attached.

Johan: a patch follows ;)
Attachments
file.jar
Fixed file plugin
(63.22 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby Marco R. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Patrick!

In my case,if I run the solution from the Web, the missing folders aren't created.
I have tried both on developer and server side.
I have always the same error:
java.io.IOException: Impossible to find the specified path
   at java.io.WinNTFileSystem.createFileExclusively(Native Method)
   at java.io.File.createNewFile(Unknown Source)
   at com.servoy.extensions.plugins.file.WebFileProvider.js_streamFilesToServer(WebFileProvider.java:235)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.mozilla.javascript.MemberBox.invoke(MemberBox.java:179)
   at org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaMethod.call(NativeJavaMethod.java:353)
   at org.mozilla.javascript.Interpreter.interpretLoop(Interpreter.java:3666)
   at org.mozilla.javascript.Interpreter.interpret(Interpreter.java:2680)
   at org.mozilla.javascript.InterpretedFunction.call(InterpretedFunction.java:166)
   at org.mozilla.javascript.ContextFactory.doTopCall(ContextFactory.java:387)
   at org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.doTopCall(ScriptRuntime.java:3127)
   at org.mozilla.javascript.InterpretedFunction.call(InterpretedFunction.java:165)
   at com.servoy.j2db.scripting.ScriptEngine.executeFunction(ScriptEngine.java:458)
   at com.servoy.j2db.plugins.ClientPluginAccessProvider$MethodExecutor.run(ClientPluginAccessProvider.java:511)
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.headlessclient.WebClient.invokeAndWait(WebClient.java:482)
   at com.servoy.j2db.plugins.ClientPluginAccessProvider.executeMethod(ClientPluginAccessProvider.java:411)
   at com.servoy.j2db.scripting.FunctionDefinition.execute(FunctionDefinition.java:195)
   at com.servoy.extensions.plugins.file.FileProvider$1.uploadComplete(FileProvider.java:244)
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.headlessclient.MainPage$19.uploadComplete(MainPage.java:1250)
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.headlessclient.MediaUploadPage$2.onSubmit(MediaUploadPage.java:129)
   at org.apache.wicket.markup.html.form.Form.delegateSubmit(Form.java:1545)
   at org.apache.wicket.markup.html.form.Form.process(Form.java:938)
   at org.apache.wicket.markup.html.form.Form.onFormSubmitted(Form.java:900)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.apache.wicket.RequestListenerInterface.invoke(RequestListenerInterface.java:182)
   at org.apache.wicket.request.target.component.listener.ListenerInterfaceRequestTarget.processEvents(ListenerInterfaceRequestTarget.java:73)
   at org.apache.wicket.request.AbstractRequestCycleProcessor.processEvents(AbstractRequestCycleProcessor.java:92)
   at org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.processEventsAndRespond(RequestCycle.java:1250)
   at org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.step(RequestCycle.java:1329)
   at org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.steps(RequestCycle.java:1428)
   at org.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.request(RequestCycle.java:545)
   at org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.doGet(WicketFilter.java:479)
   at com.servoy.j2db.server.servlets.Zl.doGet(Zl.java:15)
   at org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketServlet.doPost(WicketServlet.java:160)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:637)
   at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:290)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:206)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:233)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:191)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:128)
   at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:102)
   at org.apache.catalina.valves.AccessLogValve.invoke(AccessLogValve.java:567)
   at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
   at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)
   at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
   at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

If I create the folder manually all works fine.To make me more sure,I have removed the newFileName specification and I have tried with a fixed path:"/donald/goofie/".So this is my code:

plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file[0],'/donald/goofie/',globals.myErr);

Thanks

Marco
Marco Rossi
Freelance

Main development environment: Servoy 6.1.6 - 7.4.3, Java 1.6u45,7u71 Windows 7/CentOS
Marco R.

Postby ptalbot » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Interesting! When I use the code above this is working for me with virtually the same environment...
"donald" and "goofie" are created and the file placed inside "goofie" as planned.

so 2 questions:
1/ where is your "servoy.FileServerService.defaultFolder" located? Is it the default folder? Another folder? Do you have write access to it, are you sure you don't have some network policy that prevents you from creating a folder in there?
2/ what is the part of the code which is calling "plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file[0],'/donald/goofie/',globals.myErr);" in your case?
Especially the where does the file[0] comes from? Are you sure that it is not null? Could you do a file[0].getName() and output this to see what's in it?

Thanks for the precisions.
Patrick Talbot
ptalbot

Postby Marco R. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:17 pm

so 2 questions:
1/ where is your "servoy.FileServerService.defaultFolder" located? Is it the default folder? Another folder? Do you have write access to it, are you sure you don't have some network policy that prevents you from creating a folder in there?
2/ what is the part of the code which is calling "plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file[0],'/donald/goofie/',globals.myErr);" in your case?
Especially the where does the file[0] comes from? Are you sure that it is not null? Could you do a file[0].getName() and output this to see what's in it?

Ok,
1/ in into the default folder,I'm trying it into my personal pc in wich also the application server is installed(so I have server and client on the same machine).
2/ I have attach a solutionSample in wich I reproduce a very similar situation;here ,in my case ,only the smart client work.You can try to use the same path that I have used for the solution test by pressing the corresponding button.

filePluginTest.servoy
(4.39 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

p.s. I have test the webclient with CHROME and IE8, with chrome the code line :"file[0].getName()" return correctly only the file name,with IE8 ,instead, "file[0].getName()" return the full path + file_name.
p.p.s. I have also just updated to java 1.6 u22(I don't know if there is something different from the java 1.6u21 that impacts on this).

Hope this can help,

Thanks for your time

Marco
Marco Rossi
Freelance

Main development environment: Servoy 6.1.6 - 7.4.3, Java 1.6u45,7u71 Windows 7/CentOS
Marco R.

Postby ptalbot » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:12 pm

OK, the problem is that the system has no real way to know if you intend to use the second argument as a folder to put the file in, or a complete file path.
I have added some detection to try and guess whether this second argument is a folder - then it won't try to create a file out of it ;)

You solution works for me now in web client, with either:
plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file[0],serverPath+'/',globals.myErr);

or
plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file[0],serverPath+'/'+file[0].getName(),globals.myErr);
Attachments
file.jar
Fix for second argument path (folder or file)
(63.43 KiB) Downloaded 300 times
Patrick Talbot
ptalbot

Postby jcompagner » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 am

p.s. I have test the webclient with CHROME and IE8, with chrome the code line :"file[0].getName()" return correctly only the file name,with IE8 ,instead, "file[0].getName()" return the full path + file_name.

this is know to me yes,
We could and i guess we should make it the same for all platforms, so that getName() only really is the last portion in all the browsers
having the full path there is of no use anyway (its a client path)
I thought we already did something like that.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Marco R. » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:27 am

Unfortunately the problem persist :(
All works fine exept for the WEB when folder creation is needed. If the destination folder doesn't exist,this will throw java.io.IOException.If I create the folders manually,all works fine.

To make us more sure we have test the plugin on 3 different pc and environment:
win 7 servoy 1002 java 1.6u20
win xp servoy 1002 java 1.6u20
win xp servoy 1002 java 1.6u22

but we have always the same result both with Chrome and IE8,and both on developer and on the application server.
We have also tried to run both server and client on the same machine and on different machine but without result :( (I have always used my test solution)

Do I need something other configuration or plugin(exept for standard in servoy)?

thanks for your time

Marco
Marco Rossi
Freelance

Marco R.

Postby sbutler » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:46 pm

Thanks for the updates Patrick. Your latest file now works on the Mac in Developer. For those needing some sample code, below is an example. Basically I had a solution that requires everything that gets printed to save a copy of what gets printed in PDF form as an audit trail of sorts. Below is the sample:

function printPDF(pdfData) {
   //pdfData is the binary data for the pdf file.  you can get with plugins.pdf_output.endMetaPrintJob()   

if(!pdfData)
      return

var sFileSep = plugins.it2be_tools.server().fileSeparator
   var fileName = sFileSep + "pdf_print" + sFileSep + application.getUUID() + ".pdf"
   if(application.getApplicationType() == APPLICATION_TYPES.SMART_CLIENT){
      //save the file to the client first
      var tFile = plugins.file.createTempFile("print", ".pdf")
      plugins.file.writeFile(tFile, pdfData)

//start streaming to the server in a backround process (so we don't have to wait)
      plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(tFile, fileName);

//then open it
      if(utils.stringMiddle(application.getOSName(),1,7) == "Windows"){
         application.executeProgramInBackground('rundll32', 'url.dll,FileProtocolHandler',tFile.getAbsolutePath())
      }
      else if (utils.stringLeftWords(application.getOSName(), 1) == "Mac"){
         application.executeProgram('open', tFile.getAbsolutePath());
      }
   }
   else{
      //first save it to the server
      var fileDir = plugins.it2be_tools.server().getApplicationServerDir() + sFileSep + "server" + sFileSep + "webapps" + sFileSep + "ROOT" + sFileSep + "uploads"
      var sFile = plugins.file.convertToJSFile(fileDir + fileName)
      plugins.file.writeFile(sFile, pdfData)

//now stream to client
      //in latest versions, this automatically does all the stuff for web client streaming!
      plugins.file.writeFile("file.pdf", pdfData)
   }
}

FYI: It would be handy if we had the option to SET and GET the servoy.FileServerService.defaultFolder property.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Postby ptalbot » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:22 am

@Johan: I will have a look at being consistent throughout the calls to IUploadData.getName() implementations - this will help fixing the current problem

@Marco: No, you shouldn't need anything else - I'll have a look again, and see what could be the case where that breaks for you, most likely it has to do with getName() being inconsistent...

@Scott: You don't need to do:
var sFileSep = plugins.it2be_tools.server().fileSeparator
var fileName = sFileSep + "pdf_print" + sFileSep + application.getUUID() + ".pdf"

You can use "/" all the time (think of it as a kind of relative URL - relative to the server default upload folder)
So whatever the platform:
var fileName = "/pdf_print/" + application.getUUID() + ".pdf"

will do just fine!

And I see your point about the getting "servoy.FileServerService.defaultFolder" to be able to use writeFile() in a web client with a server path.
But it will be read only (GET), allowing to change it on the fly would be too much and I don't see a valid use case... do you really want your users to be able to navigate all over your server's hard disk?
Patrick Talbot
ptalbot

Postby Marco R. » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:57 am

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your time,only one thing:

most likely it has to do with getName() being inconsistent...

Have in your mind that the exception is throwed also with:
plugins.file.streamFilesToServer(file[0],serverPath+'/',globals.myErr);

so without file[0].getName();
I have tried also your solution sample on the web(I have added the callBack function that is mandatory for the web when anyone use showFileOpenDialog) to make me sure about the correct use of the plugin but the result is always the same.

Marco
Marco Rossi
Freelance

Marco R.

Postby ptalbot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:17 am

I have fixed the issue with getName() returning a path instead of the file name only, which was indeed creating this error as I have been able to reproduce it.

@Marco: I have been able to get your test case to work reliably (without any change in the scripts) on IE 7/8 - Firefox 3.6 - Chrome 7 - Safari 5

I cannot send you a plugin to test as the changes made are also in some of the core Servoy libraries, but a patch has been sent to Johan, hope this will make it for Servoy 5.2.3!
Patrick Talbot
ptalbot

Postby Marco R. » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:36 am

Ok Patrick!

Thanks for your time :)

I'll waiting for 5.2.3 and hope it too!
Marco Rossi
Freelance

Marco R.

Postby Marco R. » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi Patrick!

I have taked the Servoy 5.2.2 intermediate 2 and I want to tell you that now all works fine!
Both smart client and webclient.

Thanks

Marco
Marco Rossi
Freelance

Marco R.

Postby ptalbot » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:13 pm

Cool! Thanks for reporting, Marco.

@Scott: I have added a new getDefaultUploadLocation() method which will give you the server-side path of the upload folder.
Johan applied the patch but I don't know if this will be part of the next (5.2.3) release.
Patrick Talbot
ptalbot

Postby jcompagner » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:36 pm

i think it will make it.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

PreviousNext

Return to Methods