Edit Valuelist

Questions, tips and tricks and techniques for scripting in Servoy

Edit Valuelist

Postby Harjo » Wed May 14, 2003 8:37 am

Is it possible that a user can edit the valuelist?
Like in Filemaker: ...EDIT at the bottom of the list.
I have tried the following already: I have made al valuelists not custom but using databasevalues of the same field. So if i typed a new value, this value is automatic added to the list.
But the problem here was, that if I had 5 valuelists and about 6000 records, Servoy slows down!!! Starting the project takes about 50 seconds!!! And if type a value and go to the next record, I must wait the same 50 seconds!
Is there another solution?
Harjo

Postby Jan Aleman » Wed May 14, 2003 5:43 pm

I'm not sure what you are trying exactly. Are you creating a valuelist with 6000 entries? If you are: they were not meant for that. I did however give it a try on a P3 machine and the initial population of the valuelist took about 2 seconds after which they remained cached.

Can you describe more in detail what you are trying to achieve?

Also: is there a specific need to make such large valuelists?
Jan Aleman

Postby Harjo » Wed May 14, 2003 6:44 pm

No, what I mean is that I have 6000 records. The valuelist has about 20 valuea. This valuelist is generated by a databasevalue of the same field. So if I choose a value, click another time in the field, en type a new value, this value is automatic placed in the list. But this is'nt working beacuase I have to wait a long time.

So my question was, can I change/modify a valuelist, like in Filemaker at the bottom of the list: ....EDIT, without going or using the design-mode?
Harjo

Postby Jan Aleman » Wed May 14, 2003 6:51 pm

If you want valuelists to be easily modifyable create a separate table for all your valuelists and base the values on columns in that table. After that you can create a form to edit those values.

For example in the CRM solution there is a table called valuelist on which all valuelists across the CRM are based.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby maarten » Wed Jul 16, 2003 11:45 am

Maarten Berkenbosch
maarten

Return to Methods