Email

Questions, tips and tricks and techniques for scripting in Servoy

Email

Postby Bert » Wed May 21, 2003 10:20 am

I've read one can send email from its solution, but is it also possible to recieve email in its solution without any emailsoftware like outlook?

Thanks...
Bert de Graaff
ATB Software Servoy Developer manage your business anywhere
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu May 22, 2003 6:08 am

It's currently not possible to receive email with servoy, it is fairly easy though to write a plugin that will do that. There are quite a few java programs that can check email and all you would have to do is modify them to be a plugin.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Bert » Thu May 22, 2003 11:08 am

jaleman wrote:It's currently not possible to receive email with servoy, it is fairly easy though to write a plugin that will do that. There are quite a few java programs that can check email and all you would have to do is modify them to be a plugin.

Does this mean it wil be a standard feature in the (near) future?
Bert de Graaff
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue May 27, 2003 8:00 pm

It means that we hope that somebody will accept the challenge and build a plugin that can receive email. If nobody will eventually and there is a lot of demand we will consider to build one ourselves.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Something like this?

Postby Bert » Wed May 28, 2003 1:00 am

jaleman wrote:It means that we hope that somebody will accept the challenge and build a plugin that can receive email. If nobody will eventually and there is a lot of demand we will consider to build one ourselves.

Hi Jan,
Via, via I found this site where you can download products (javabeans) like EzSMTP and EzPOP for sending and retrieving email 8)
Because of my little knowledge regarding Servoy and Java at this very moment I haven't got the slitest idea how to implement this in a solution but then again I hope to gain that information here on this forum :wink:

Should we deploy javabeans in a solution for sending and retrieving email or would a plugin be better so developers can use extra functions and be more flexible?

Thanks...
Bert de Graaff
Bert

Re: Something like this?

Postby bcusick » Thu May 29, 2003 8:18 am

Bert wrote:
jaleman wrote:It means that we hope that somebody will accept the challenge and build a plugin that can receive email. If nobody will eventually and there is a lot of demand we will consider to build one ourselves.

Hi Jan,
Via, via I found this site where you can download products (javabeans) like EzSMTP and EzPOP for sending and retrieving email 8)
Because of my little knowledge regarding Servoy and Java at this very moment I haven't got the slitest idea how to implement this in a solution but then again I hope to gain that information here on this forum :wink:

Should we deploy javabeans in a solution for sending and retrieving email or would a plugin be better so developers can use extra functions and be more flexible?

Thanks...

AWESOME REFERENCE!

Thanks Bert!

Bob Cusick
bcusick

Postby Harjo » Thu May 29, 2003 2:18 pm

Does anybody have any clue or start of how to begin with such javabeans??
Who can help us?

p.s. imaging the things you can do! user and customer (sorted) specific email.
Never any email lost with a client!
Harjo

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu May 29, 2003 3:17 pm

We're working on a comprehensive article on the usage of beans. Currently the usage of beans in Servoy is meant for beans that provide GUI elements (such as charting beans). Those beans simply need to be dragged into the Servoy beans folder after which you can place them on a form. Once you place them on a form they will expose all their properties and functions in the methods editor. We are investigating the support of headless beans such as the earlier mentioned ezpop bean. You can already create a Servoy Plugin that includes the ezpop functionality fairly easy.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Harjo » Thu May 29, 2003 4:41 pm

Jan, could you help us (non-java dude's, but learning!) where to start when making such kind of plugin? I mean books, internetsite's, javadeveloper program's etc...?
Harjo

Postby Bert » Thu May 29, 2003 8:14 pm

HJK wrote:Jan, could you help us (non-java dude's, but learning!) where to start when making such kind of plugin? I mean books, internetsite's, javadeveloper program's etc...?

From the other non-java dude :arrow: that's why I posted the question and the link :wink:
jaleman wrote:You can already create a Servoy Plugin that includes the ezpop functionality fairly easy.

OK, what is fairly easy :? and it would be nice if we could discus these issues in the workshop :D
Bert de Graaff
Bert

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu May 29, 2003 8:27 pm

The workshop is specifically aimed to get a general overview of all features of Servoy and a basic understanding of how Methods work. To go into plugin programming might be a bit too deep for a 1 day class with such a wide audience. I will try to find some time at the end of the day to discuss plugins.

We are working on a step by step plugin howto that will be aimed at developers with little Java experience. To get you started on Java I recommend: Mastering Java by John Zukowski, 078214022X. There are hundreds of other good Java books but I found this one very comprehensive.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby david » Thu May 29, 2003 10:52 pm

If you are like me one book just isn't enough -- I like reading different viewpoints on the same subject. After some research I picked these up recently and all three seem great from my viewpoint (as in I don't know Java...):

1) Learning Java (O'Reilly) -- starts you right at the beginning.
2) Core Java 2 (Sun Microsystems Press) -- if you use another programming language, this would get you up to speed fast.
3) Java Cookbook (O'Reilly) -- my favorite so far...800 pages of explained code.

The step-by-step plug-in guide in the works is good news to me. Full email functionality seems like a logical plug-in (uhm...it would be interesting to be able trigger a method by sending an email to servoy) and my vote is also in for an AppleScript plug-in.

- david
david

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri May 30, 2003 5:20 pm

Update on ezpop bean: in the upcoming 1.1 version it works. It is very easy to use. Just drop it on your form and all its methods will be exposed in the methods editor. Click and fill and you've got full pop support in Servoy. I'll try to upload an example soon.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Harjo » Fri May 30, 2003 6:27 pm

GREAT!! I'm looking forward to it!
Harjo

Postby Harjo » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:20 am

Jan, do you have some examples for us with the ezbean??
Harjo

Next

Return to Methods