Servoy Webclient over 3g

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Servoy Webclient over 3g

Postby Gordon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:52 pm

I am having significant speed issues with Servoy over 3g using an iPhone. Other sites do not seem to be a problem and I am wondering what Servoy is doing whilst its loading what is in fact a relatively simple application. Even on the WiFi the app is not blindingly fast with graphics loading in a peculiar way or incomplete.

The application I have developed relies heavily on remote working and 3g networks - these are by no means perfect, but I would have expected at least similar performance to a standard web experience. I guess my questions are

- Are there ways to optimise Servoy for mobile use over the web
- Is it likely that the Ajax elements a chatting up and down the network hence slowing the process down
- Has anyone got any experience of actually delivering a live iPhone app to a significant audience ie 3-500 users ? this is slow with 1 currently !

Finally the fact that Servoy can deliver web forms, a desktop client and an iPhone based administration from one code base is outstanding !!

Keen to hear any ideas on what I may have overlooked to ramp up this performance - ideally I want to keep all of this in Servoy and not resort to JQuery or similar

Cheers
Gordon
Gordon McLean
Click Digital Media Ltd
SAN Developer
www.clickdigital.com
Gordon

Re: Servoy Webclient over 3g

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:32 am

How fast is the sample crm at demo.servoy.com for you? On my 3G phone it loads in about 4 seconds which I think is pretty spiffy. For your own app it will largely depend on the GUI complexity. Keeping your GUI simpler makes it faster.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Re: Servoy Webclient over 3g

Postby Gordon » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:42 am

OK Interesting I came to a similar conclusion and did various tests with other apps both locally and on 3g. It may also have a lot to do with the fact the iPhone is telling fibs about its current connection status.

Actions taken so far:

1. Stuck a loading page on the front before the startup script registers the various functions and plugings
2. I wanted the app to load from the homescreen and to enable this to work has to fire the client each time IF it were possible to create a homescreen icon from Servoy without the session this would mean we went back to the same client hence it would be running and faster - IF you can make this work I would be very interested to know how as my version requires intervention from PHP !!
3. Using apple type interface with small graphics - some loading issues but not vast

Cheers
Gordon
Gordon McLean
Click Digital Media Ltd
SAN Developer
www.clickdigital.com
Gordon

Return to Servoy Web Client