Overhead in Migrating for WebClient

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Overhead in Migrating for WebClient

Postby Infop » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi all,

We have a Solution running FINE in Servoy Rich Client in 5.2. We would like to migrate to the WebClient to attract wider user base. We have figured out all the necessary information about the Beans and Plug-in that has been used in the application. We have did a trial to run the same in the WebClient, found some of the functionality breaking and also the UI is very bad, which is running Great in Rich Client. So, here, quite curious to know about the concerned areas, that we need to address, while making the same to the Web Client Compatible. Does any one have any Idea? I know, It will be quite difficult with this very very less information, But, we would like to know about the generic areas that needs to be addressed. As I have mentioned previously, we have already figured out the solution for third party components(Beans and Plug-ins) used. Now, It is only related to Servoy. Can anyone, please put some light on the same?

And also,

Given that Servoy Web Clients use more memory, what size of server do we need?
Does the application perform satisfactorily in Web Client? Do we need to redesign interfaces so performance is satisfactory?

Thanks
Infop

Re: Overhead in Migrating for WebClient

Postby jbader » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:23 pm

We have did a trial to run the same in the WebClient, found some of the functionality breaking and also the UI is very bad, which is running Great in Rich Client

In my experience, there is a disconnect between feature marketing and reality when it comes to smart-client solutions running in webclient without any additional code or styling needed. Is it possible? Sure. Will it look great or run well? Probably not.

Our solution has a smart-client back-office interface, and web "portals" that run on webclient. The interface for the portals had to be designed with webclient (and a web browser) in mind from the start; the converse was true for our back-office system. If you design for smart client, then push to the web (assuming your design is less than trivial and that you want your solution to behave at least a little like a standard web application) you will have an "ugly" and probably awkward solution.

While Servoy absolutely can run most if not all of the code and UI you create in smart client, in webclient. I've found that I need to design the UI explicitly for (and sometimes code for) only one or the other from the get go. I have also found a *great* amount of tweaking is necessary to get my webclient solutions to feel like a true web application (which is what I needed, and not what everyone needs).
jbader

Postby Infop » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:57 pm

Thanks, jbader for sharing your thought on the same.

It seems that lots of tweaking needs to be done to make it to a TRUE web application, mostly focusing to the UI. Thanks again for sharing your thought on the same. I am started looking at it.

Thanks
Infop

Postby maria » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:24 am

Infop wrote:Thanks, jbader for sharing your thought on the same.

It seems that lots of tweaking needs to be done to make it to a TRUE web application, mostly focusing to the UI. Thanks again for sharing your thought on the same. I am started looking at it.

Thanks

Hi jbader,

We're also migrating our existing smart client solution to webclient and also wish our new product that is currently in the final stages of development to work in webclient.
This topic seems to be the right place to share thoughts and ideas on how to do it best.

Problem:
At this stage, I've tried running the application in webclient and found out that one of the tabs on our main form is not recognized by webclient.
The forms.main.elements.myTabPanel.tabIndex is addressed in the code and the line runs fine (I mean if the element wasn't there Servoy would throw an exception).
But if I try to loop through forms.main.elements.allnames and output all elements' names then I'm not finding myTabPanel in the list.
The myTabPanel.tabIndex value is -1 (in smart client it's 1).
I've compared the other tabs on the form with this one and they seem to be pretty similar, the difference being sizes, locations and tabs on the tabpanels.
Is it something straightforward that I'm missing?

Cheers,
Maria
maria

Postby jcompagner » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 am

forms.main.elements.allnames and the tabIndex are completely unrelated things.

forms.main.elements.allnames should give you back the myTabPanel just fine in the webclient (as it does in the smart) if you can reproduce please make a case.

about forms.main.elements.myTabPanel.tabIndex what version do you use of servoy? We did have some fixes in the latest 5.2.1 version if i can recall correctly.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby maria » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 am

jcompagner wrote:forms.main.elements.allnames and the tabIndex are completely unrelated things.

forms.main.elements.allnames should give you back the myTabPanel just fine in the webclient (as it does in the smart) if you can reproduce please make a case.

about forms.main.elements.myTabPanel.tabIndex what version do you use of servoy? We did have some fixes in the latest 5.2.1 version if i can recall correctly.

Johan, it's Servoy 5.1.4.
I'll attempt to reproduce it in a sample solution.

Cheers,
Maria
maria

Return to Servoy Web Client