Load testing Servoy web client with JMeter...

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Load testing Servoy web client with JMeter...

Postby guerry » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:07 am

Hi all,

I am attempting to put our application through some paces. I'd like to use JMeter, or one of any number of web client load generators against it. Being new to Servoy, I didn't realize how difficult it would be to determine the link executed by a click inside the ajax code, as well as to determine the context I need to be in to actually make the calls (I'm presuming I have to establish the connected socket, to get context on the server side to access some resources).

Has anyone done this? Are there any best practices for load testing Servoy web client apps? The two forum discussions I've found didn't really go anywhere. Perhaps I have the wrong key words in mind for the search?

Much thanks in advance,

Guerry
guerry

Re: Load testing Servoy web client with JMeter...

Postby ptalbot » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Servoy Web client is based on the Wicket framework.
As you have noticed much of the interaction with the server is done using Ajax callbacks.

if you trace down the calls, you will notice that the page is polling back the server every X seconds (where X depends on the delay set in the admin page - default is 5 seconds) to check for updates (for the databroadcasting you must have heard about).

So your best bet on how to add load testing on your pages, is either to use a purely client-based tool (I guess there are plugins for firefox or webkit around for that purpose), or check with the Wicket framework how they usually address the problem.

Hope this help,
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby Jan Aleman » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Looking at this page it shouldn't be very difficult:

https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/wicket- ... sions.html
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby pbakker » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:31 am

I like this part of that link:
Conclusion
If you know the "wicket:id"s, creating repeatable JMeter tests for Wicket apps could be easier than creating them for normal web applications!

In the case of Servoy's Web Client, the wicket ID's are easily findable by looking at the Web Client templates: using a WebDav client or your browser go to the following url of your Servoy Application Server: {server_url}/servoy-webclient/templates/defaults/. There you'll find all the templates for each form of each solution on your server.

As for the ID's also check this out: http://wiki.servoy.com/display/DOCS/Tuning+the+server > Web Client Tuning > servoy.webclient.templates.use_local_ids for more info on the ID options on the Server. For testing purposes, I suggest NOT to use local id's, because then test will only work on the specific server you design them against.

Paul
pbakker

Postby ptalbot » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:15 pm

Paul, I believe the URL would rather be {server_url}/servoy-webclient/templates/default/ (not /defaults/)
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby guerry » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:57 pm

Wow, much thanks everyone. We'll dig in and see how it goes!
guerry

Return to Servoy Web Client