Internet Explorer login problem

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Internet Explorer login problem

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi,

We received a feedback from couple of users who are complaining that they can't login to our servoy solution using Internet Explorer. We use a custom solution for login. The username and password used were correct. On another browser, on the same computer they could login. Actually we watched them doing this using TeamViewer. The javascript was enabled in the browser, but anyway if it would have been disabled the login screen would not have appeared.

Ourselves, we couldn't reproduce it in Internet Explorer, but we manage to see the log at the server level when the user, from his computer, tried to login using Internet Explorer. We displayed the username and password in the login solution, just before the authentication request is sent, and also in the authenticator solution, but in both cases the username and password were empty.

So actually, the variables that are binded with the username and password fields in the login form are empty since the beginning, even the user type in there his username and password.

Does anyone encounter this? Please, we really need help with this.

Thanks,
Bogdan.
udrescu_bogdan

Re: Internet Explorer login problem

Postby rgansevles » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:31 am

Bogdan,

Is there some way you can reproduce this with a sample solution and a specific browser on a specific OS?
If you can then please file a case in our support system.

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Hello fellow Servoy developers,

We have been developing a Servoy solution focussed on the General Aviation market of aeroclubs and flightschools. The solution was offered first primarily as a smart client solution, then when most users requested to only use the web browser, we focussed our attention more on the webclient. In the web client we created a nice webcalendar (see:
Schermafbeelding 2011-08-03 om 19.07.02.png
and
Schermafbeelding 2011-08-03 om 19.06.48.png
).

Now we have 6500 active pilots logging in to our solution of which part is offered for free and for another part of the services they have to pay.

Over the last month we have been converting German aeroclubs and flightschools from an old German system to our Servoy based solution and what I have noticed is that a lot of users have trouble using the web client with a little bit older browser such as IE 6, 7 or 8. In these cases, the solution becomes difficult to manage in the browser and this is an experience that they did not have in the old German system, of course.

I have done everything we can do to explain in the welcome e-mail message, the online screencasts and German manual right on top that they should use only an up-to-date browser to access our Servoy web client solution, but many pilots just don't read these e-mails or view the screencasts and just login with older browsers and have a bad experience using our app. Those that I get to talk to and who install a modern version of e.g. Safari, Firefox, Chrome etc. see their problems gone instantly.

I need help from you guys. How can we provide support in Servoy for IE 6, 7 and 8. Is there a way I can check the browser version and display that the browser is not supported. I rather inform the pilot that the browser is not supported, than that the pilot logs in and finds the system not behaving well. The smart client is no option as they will just not install it. Also, pilots use computer systems at airports in briefing rooms to e.g. file flight plans and have no way then to install a smart client version of AeroPlus as well as that they cannot control the browser installed on that PC, so ideally it would be great if any of you can give us suggestions in how to support IE 6, 7 and 8. We love Servoy as a development tool and are stretching it to the limits. Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely yours,

Sjoerd Jan ter Welle & Bogdan Udrescu
AeroPlus Aviation Software
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
udrescu_bogdan

Postby jcompagner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:08 am

a sample of an onSolutionOpen method:

Code: Select all
function onSolutionOpen()
{
   /**
    * @type {Packages.org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.request.WebClientInfo}
    */
   var clientInfo = Packages.org.apache.wicket.Session.get().getClientInfo();
   var clientProperties = clientInfo.getProperties();
   if (clientProperties.isBrowserInternetExplorer())
   {
      application.output(clientProperties.getBrowserVersionMajor());
   }
}
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:29 am

Thanks for the tip. We will try to implement it.
udrescu_bogdan

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Hi guys,

We have again users reporting that can't login on IE and Chrome. We'll try to get more info about the browser version. From our last tests we saw that the username and password sent to the Authentication solution arrive as blank string or null I think, I don't remember exactly now.
We call the authenticator using:
Code: Select all
var result = security.authenticate('AeroPlusAuthenticator', 'login', [txtUsername, txtPassword]);

In the past I've made outputs in the Login solution when calling this method and the variables contained the correct username/password that the users filled in, but for output from the Authenticator displayed either blank or null.

Please help,
Bogdan.
udrescu_bogdan

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:28 am

Silly of me, I wrote the problem in the first post here and didn't remember...

The problem is not with the authenticator, but the text written in the fields by the user is missing from the variables. See the screenshoots, you can see the code and the output. We just had a user with this problem. You can see in the output that the login username and password are blank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
udrescu_bogdan

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:20 am

Check this out. This was a frustrated user. This is not good. :(
Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 10.18.12 AM.png
udrescu_bogdan

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm

For this one, only the username is not working, the password is there:
Screen shot 2012-01-18 at 12.01.36 PM.png
udrescu_bogdan

Postby amcgilly » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 pm

I am having the same problem when using IE7 and IE8 on Windows XP to log into the web client. My situation is a little different from udrescu_bogdan's in that I am not using enhanced security, but the problem seems to be the same. I'm running v 5.2.11.

It is not passing in the username or password (global vars) from my login form to my login method. This is happening both in deployed solutions and in Developer. In Developer, debugger says my username and password globals are blank even though I have typed stuff into them. I tried deleting all temporary files/cookies/cached paswords/etc. in IE. Didn't help (though my customer says that for him that got it working once). In Chrome, Firefox, Safari login works fine.

Did anyone ever figure out a solution to this problem?
Adrian McGilly
Servoy Developer

amcgilly

Postby jcompagner » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:50 am

amcgilly wrote:It is not passing in the username or password (global vars) from my login form to my login method. This is happening both in deployed solutions and in Developer. In Developer, debugger says my username and password globals are blank even though I have typed stuff into them. I tried deleting all temporary files/cookies/cached paswords/etc. in IE. Didn't help (though my customer says that for him that got it working once). In Chrome, Firefox, Safari login works fine.

So the global vars are just never filled?
Are they in the browser auto filled by the browser? Or do you really typed them in?
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby amcgilly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Update: this problem went away when I upgraded to 5.2.14, per Johan's suggestion. Thank you Johan.
Adrian McGilly
Servoy Developer

amcgilly

Return to Servoy Web Client