web browser back button

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

web browser back button

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi,

I know this sounds weird from the programmers point of view, but from usability point of view it really makes sense :wink:

We have lot of users that are complaining that when pressing on the Back button of the browser, the website (servoy solution) get stuck!

They are used, as in any other website, when they hit the back button to go back to the previous page. But this is not the case in Servoy, I think! And I also know that other services, like Yahoo Mail, does the same. But, as users, from their point of view, they are perfectly right!

So, how can this be solved, or workaround somehow?

Thanks,
Bogdan.
udrescu_bogdan

Re: web browser back button

Postby jcompagner » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:41 pm

the backbutton should work if you switch the main form. you should move to the previous main form.
But in complex cases this could be not 100% especially when reusing tabpanels and so on in the next form.

But if you have a case what really doesn't work make a case with that sample solution
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply!

We have one main form that is always visible, then we present the information using tabpanels in tabpanels and so on. And for us it never works. Actually, when back button is pressed, all page or the part of the screen where the main tabpanel is become white and the application can not be used anymore, so the users have to open the link again. Sometimes, in fortunate cases :) , nothing happened!

If you think this might be a problem in Servoy, I can try to make a case.
udrescu_bogdan

Postby jcompagner » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:57 pm

if you never switch the main page then you are just going back to what was before the real servoy solution load. (that could be our special get all information from the client request that you see as the first "loading" page)

But if you just switch tabs then the backbutton will not work for that, The url in the browser does not change that way so you can go back to the previous tab with the back button. You just change something inside the page not the page itself.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby udrescu_bogdan » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:07 pm

How can I change the main form of the solution at runtime?
udrescu_bogdan

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:06 am

forms.myform.show() ?
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Servoy Web Client