Dropbox to become the world's hard drive?

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Dropbox to become the world's hard drive?

Postby Westy » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:27 pm

Dropbox is continuing on their march to become the world's hard drive. I now have their "Save to Dropbox" and "Choose from Dropbox" dropins working from within my Servoy solution (see: https://www.dropbox.com/developers).

When the user clicks the "Save to Dropbox" button a small window appears that allows them to select any folder within Dropbox and click 'Save". Our users create a lot of PDF files, so we are using this button as a way for them to quickly save any PDF file directly to Dropbox from within our solution. It works great.

At first I thought the "Choose from Dropbox" button was just for selecting and viewing any Dropbox file, but it is much more than that. It is a nice little document management system, with all the advantages of Dropbox auto-syncing built in. The thing I didn't notice the first time I tried it was the little "+" link that appears in the upper right corner of the window, that allows uploading of any file, or multiple files at one time, to Dropbox. It is very elegant. Dropbox does all the heavy lifting.

Getting the above two buttons to work within Dropbox was pretty easy. I just set two Servoy html fields with the button code provided. At first they did not work. After experimenting a little I realized that the buttons needed to be set using a Servoy form onShow event. Now the buttons work perfectly.

I would also like to use the Dropbox.createSaveButton(url, filename) and several other Dropbox functions. Can anyone provide an example of how I might be able to call that function using Servoy? I assume it requires placing html/javascript code within a Servoy html field.

Dean
Westy

Re: Dropbox to become the world's hard drive?

Postby sovanm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Dean,

Yes you are correct, Dropbox has become the Hard Drive for everyone.

If I am not wrong, you are implementing the Dropbox Dropins. We have tried it and it was possible to implement the same in servoy using the javascript and HTML.

But we thought to develop a plugin using the Dropbox API which provides us with lot of flexibility accessing dropbox. We can upload files to users dropbox account into the specified folder, see the content we have in the account, download files and even share it using the sharable URL we obtain.

Please have a look at the Dropbox Plugin. It might be of your use. Please do share your feedback or any suggestions which are most welcome.

Sovan
sovanm

Re: Dropbox to become the world's hard drive?

Postby sbutler » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:04 am

You would use the WebClientUtils plugin: https://www.servoyforge.net/projects/webclientutils
It has a function: executeClientSideJS that you'll use.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Return to Servoy Web Client