Is this possible in VelocityReport?

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Re: Is this possible in VelocityReport?

Postby AlanBourke » Wed May 20, 2015 2:41 pm

There wouldn't be any end-user requirement in my own case. Or if there was they could hit the SQL Server data themselves with their reporting tool of choice.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Servoy SAN Developer
AlanBourke

Postby ptalbot » Wed May 20, 2015 2:45 pm

lwjwillemsen wrote:Yes, and what about end user report design ?
We have lots of end users working with JasperSoft Studio to define (complex) Jasper Report files...

If your end users are handling iReport/JasperSoft Studio than they are not really end users, that being said, you could devise a UI to allow users to define zones and content in VelocityReport if you'd want to, and integrate that directly in your application using Servoy.
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby ptalbot » Wed May 20, 2015 2:49 pm

alan.bourke wrote:Hi, I realise that there is a lot more to Velocity than just the reports. However there would be a learning curve to reimplement that report which I'd rather avoid unless I have to take it on.

Of course you would have to rewrite the report. But the thing is that the learning curve is far less than you would imagine...
You already have the Servoy knowledge and if you know a bit about HTML/CSS, then you are 95% ready.
The Velocity template language itself can be learned in an hour - if you're slow ;)
The installation and basic principles are quite easy too. It's all just Servoy in the end, nothing exotic about it.
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby lwjwillemsen » Wed May 20, 2015 5:04 pm

If your end users are handling iReport/JasperSoft Studio than they are not really end users

I don't agree with you, that's all about the definition of end user.

you could devise a UI to allow users to ...

Imho undoable (in terms of development time and maintenance) to obtain the same UI level and report possibilities as in JasperSoft Studio.
Jasper reporting is the mostly used open source reporting tool in the world, that is also pretty important to us.
Lambert Willemsen
Vision Development BV
lwjwillemsen

Postby david » Wed May 20, 2015 5:53 pm

An alternative idea: use an online service to do all your dashboarding and reporting. Example Klipfolio:

1. Get data from Servoy via REST (or Velocity service or headless client): https://klipfolio.uservoice.com/knowled ... cess-web-a

2. Not just dashboard functionality — can do just about any kind of reporting starting with table component: http://www.klipfolio.com/blog/table-component-overview

3. An "end user" product, relatively easy to use, no programming required. You just feed them data.

4. Results can be printed, exported, shown on a website, incorporated back into your Servoy solution, published and viewed on mobile devices, etc.

The world has leap frogged past the likes of Jasper Studio and hand coding Velocity templates....
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby jcarlos » Wed May 20, 2015 6:26 pm

What you need is possible in VelocityReport - Just go the Velocity route. You won't regret it.
Juan-Carlos Sanchez, Stanford University - Law and Economics
jcarlos

Postby ROCLASI » Wed May 20, 2015 8:23 pm

I guess the main question of this thread has been answered: can this report been done in Velocity; Yes.
Then the reason for this question was discussed with all the concerns about the support of the Jasper plugin.

Perhaps Ron or Johan could reply to these concerns also in this thread.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby jcompagner » Thu May 28, 2015 9:42 am

as you can see on servoy forge we already have released a new 5 and a 4 release with some bugs fixed.

On our next sprint there are i think 2 more cases we will look into.

The plan is to start shipping jasper plugin with servoy itself in the future, so then i think it i will move from servoy forge to (our) github so that in integrates better with the product and issues can then be made in our jira

For now make the issues at servoy forge and make also an issue in our jira/support system just pointing to that servoy forge issue.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Harjo » Thu May 28, 2015 9:51 am

jcompagner wrote:The plan is to start shipping jasper plugin with servoy itself in the future, so then i think it i will move from servoy forge to (our) github so that in integrates better with the product and issues can then be made in our jira

Excellent plan! Thanks for picking this up!
Harjo Kompagnie
ServoyCamp
Servoy Certified Developer
Servoy Valued Professional
SAN Developer
Harjo

Postby lwjwillemsen » Thu May 28, 2015 10:25 am

The plan is to start shipping jasper plugin with servoy itself in the future, so then i think it i will move from servoy forge to (our) github so that in integrates better with the product and issues can then be made in our jira

Very pleased to hear this !
Many thanks in advance...

Regards,
Lambert Willemsen
Vision Development BV
lwjwillemsen

Previous

Return to Servoy Web Client