Autocorrect and Spell Check

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Autocorrect and Spell Check

Postby steve1376656734 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:01 pm

I am getting a number of complaints from users that the system is changing the data they are entering into fields in out web application. It is very common from the ones that use Safari on a Mac but not limited to them. Having looked into the issue it is the browser that is causing the problem by trying to be "helpful"!

An example would be a surname field on a form. The user is trying to type the surname Tindall but unless they are vigilant, as soon as they press the space bar or tab to another field it is suddenly changed to Tidal. Having researched this phenomena I have discovered that it is possible to add some attributes to the <input> tag to prevent this behaviour across most browsers. If you tag your input field as follows:

Code: Select all
<input autocomplete="off" autocorrect="off" autocapitalize="off" spellcheck="false"/>

then the unwanted behaviour can be removed completely.

What would be the best way of achieving this in Servoy? It would be good if the same thing could be used in both the Web Client and the NG client but I'm at the point where any solution would be gratefully received currently!

All advice welcome
Thanks
Steve
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Re: Autocorrect and Spell Check

Postby patrick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm

I think in the next (major?) version of Servoy you can give any component custom attributes, which would allow you to add these (which is quite some work, I admit). I wonder what other systems do to maybe prevent that "globally" instead of attributing a whole bunch of elements.
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Postby steve1376656734 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:42 pm

Good news about the next version (assuming it can be customised or is optional!). I wouldn't want the change to be applied globally as there are a large number of text input fields in our application that very much require the autocorrect, autocapitalise and spellcheck but the ability to flag individual fields on a form with these attributes would be very much appreciated. I guess in the NG client it could be achieved quite easily using a web component that exposes these attributes at design and runtime but the web client is quite another problem.

As I said in the original post, any pointers to help would be greatly appreciated :D
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Postby patrick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:51 pm

I was talking about NG only. With the attributes feature you simply add the attributes as name/value pairs to a field.
Patrick Ruhsert
Servoy DACH
patrick

Return to Servoy Web Client