valuelist showing ID initially

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

valuelist showing ID initially

Postby john.allen » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:08 am

In using Servoy 3 since the beginning I have had a problem whereby the ID for the field shows rather than the value from the valuelist. On first entering data, the display values show fine, I can select those display values fine and even on leaving the field the display value still shows. But as soon as I go to a different form or record then the ID shows rather than the display value. Only if I restart the solution (in Developer or Client) does the correct display value show again. It also seems to show correctly if I leave the solution 'open' overnight. The next day those ID values seem to show correctly as the display values.
The valuelist itself is very basic. It takes the values from one table, inserts the ID value and displays the 'code' value. I have attached 4 screen shots to illustrate it. I'll post it on the bug report as well.

Notice how the Histology and Histology2 values display the 'display' value first and then only the 'id' value.

I have tried doing some 'refreshing' and saving data but nothing like that seems to work. Any ideas? Is this a 3.0 bug?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Re: valuelist showing ID initially

Postby Riccardino » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:47 pm

john.allen wrote:
I have tried doing some 'refreshing' and saving data but nothing like that seems to work. Any ideas? Is this a 3.0 bug?

I'm having this problem on one of my solutions, under 2.2.5. Maybe is so,mething related to the way both solutions load the form...
ciao, ric
Riccardino

Postby ROCLASI » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:04 pm

Is this a dynamic valuelist? Like based on data of the current record ?
And are you using this valuelist in a listview?

I had issues with aforementioned scenario and fixed it by changing the field from a type-ahead to an non-editable combobox.
This way the value was always shown instead of the ID.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby john.allen » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi guys,

Hope to see you both in Boston! Yes it is a list view that is actually displaying within a tabform but it is not a dynamic valuelist or at least as I use that term. In other words the valuelist is always the same as it is based on the contents of a stable table (hmmm, like that expression) but of course the selected value varies from record to record.

What is weird is that the field ALWAYS displays CORRECTLY after the solution is reloaded. It is just in the current session that it doesn't display correctly by showing the id instead of the display value. This is true for both Developer as well as Client.

I'll try going to a Combo box just for displaying the value. I really dislike Combo boxes in comparison to type ahead fields for data entry and especially when you are working with knowledgeable workers and you have a long valuelist of several hundred values like I do here. I do think it is some kind of issue and have entered it in the 'bug box' but I might be able to get around it in this case by using a combo box where I have to display the value and a type ahead where the user enters the value. Thanks for that suggestion!

The fact that it always displays correctly after reloading the solution would seem to me that there is some sort of 'refreshing' that happens after reloading. Either we don't have access to that type of 'refreshing/reloading' or is something that is there and I'm missing it. Perhaps it is related more to the size of the VL. When the VL is small for newly created records it can maintain the display value in memory but when it is large it can't. When the solution is reloaded then it can handle all existing records.
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Postby john.allen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:08 am

Following up changing it to Combo box does indeed fix the problem. In this case it actually works without any problems too. I am entering the value on one form (and can use a type ahead field there) and then displaying it for the user on another form where they only need to view it (Combo box displays it correctly). Thanks for the suggestion Robert. I am so infatuated with type ahead fields I sometimes forget about the others!

I do hope they fix that though because there are situations where I really need a type ahead to show correctly the display value even though it is a large value list. It is precisely when the VL is large that a type ahead really becomes important!
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Return to Servoy Web Client