Servoy 3.0 WebClient, how is it licensed?

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Servoy 3.0 WebClient, how is it licensed?

Postby pengi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:47 am

Is the WebClient actually fully implemented in 3.0? I have just downloaded the 3.0 eval but haven't installed it yet. As I understand it, the WebClient lets one render a servoy form so that it runs in a browser, which is pretty neat. However I've not found anything on the servoy site that indicates how it's licensed. I did see some mention in a forum post of per cpu licensing having been introduced at Servoy World, but I guess that info is not on the website yet.
pengi

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:49 am

A web-/headless-/rich client uses 1 client license. So there is no difference between the client types.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby pengi » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:44 am

Hmmm yes it helps, but unfortunately it makes servoy sound like an very expensive way to run a website. Almost $300 per concurrent user?
pengi

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:10 pm

pengi wrote:Hmmm yes it helps, but unfortunately it makes servoy sound like an very expensive way to run a website. Almost $300 per concurrent user?

That all depends on 3 things:
- how complex is your solution
- how many concurrent users you expect
- what license do you use (concurrent/asp/cpu license)

The more complex your solution the more expensive it would be to code (and maintain) all that business logic in a web environment. So Servoy would be a big time (read money) saver.
And the amount you pay all depends on your license type. Servoy has next to the normal concurrent license also ASP and CPU licenses. This will impact the price per client you mentioned.
Just contact Servoy sales and let them tell you what they can do for your project.

But you are right. For some using Servoy's webclient will be too expensive for their need and for others it will be a big money saver.
Just run (all) the numbers and see if Servoy web client is the right choice for your project. And also keep in mind you can create a hybrid website where you use any web-technology for the bulk of your website and webclient for the special parts of it.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby MerMer » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:08 pm

I have heard from another forum user that Servoy is announcing a new licensing based on Servers. This would make a Web based model much easier to cost out.

There are alot of great technologies for building websites, many of them free. I believe that Servoy could best fit in on parts of websites where there needs to be heavy form processing - provided that its workflow is easy and it can work in conjuction with the other web technologies.

At the moment I'm stuggling with version 3. I'm finding the workflow very awkward from a website development perspective. I'm finding that the rendering of the site in the web client is inconsistent - and I'm finding it difficult to tweak the templates because I can't get WebDAV to work on my machine and there is no supporting documentation. I'm also having to close down my developer and reboot it in order to refresh the client web view.

MerMer
MerMer

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:44 pm

MerMer wrote:I have heard from another forum user that Servoy is announcing a new licensing based on Servers. This would make a Web based model much easier to cost out.

That would be the CPU license.

MerMer wrote:There are alot of great technologies for building websites, many of them free. I believe that Servoy could best fit in on parts of websites where there needs to be heavy form processing - provided that its workflow is easy and it can work in conjuction with the other web technologies.

Yes there are a lot of free technologies out there that are 'free'. I put that between quotes because the software might be free to use you still need to put in the hours to code your stuff in it. Or hire someone to do it for you.
Believe me...it will cost you much more to code stuff in PHP/JSP/etc. than in Servoy, especially when you do complex and rich UI's.
Depending on the 3 points I mentioned earlier in this thread Servoy might be for you or not for this purpose. And you can also use the aforementioned hybrid approach.

MerMer wrote:At the moment I'm stuggling with version 3. I'm finding the workflow very awkward from a website development perspective. I'm finding that the rendering of the site in the web client is inconsistent - and I'm finding it difficult to tweak the templates because I can't get WebDAV to work on my machine and there is no supporting documentation.

I believe you can find the templates in [servoy directory]/server/webapps/ROOT/servoy-webclient/templates/ . I am not sure but it's in there somewhere.

MerMer wrote:I'm also having to close down my developer and reboot it in order to refresh the client web view.

There is no need for that, just force your browser to completely refresh. Changes are instant.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby pbakker » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:02 pm

Browse to http://localhost:port/servoy-webclient/templates and you can view all templates and CSS files. If you want to edit the templates, save them to disk in the appropriate directory in the server (..\server\webapps\ROOT\servoy-webclient\templates\......) and start editing.... Edit with whatever tool you like....

Note: the templates are not stored on disk unless you store them there
Note2: Once you store them on disk, any change made to the form of which you saved the template will not be noticed in the Webclient anymore, because you stored the template
Note3: If you delete the template from disk, all changes made in Developer will become visible again.

Forcing a total refresk: IE & FF on Windows: Ctrl-F5

As for the development workflow being akard for Web development: I thinkyou shouldn't look at it as a tool to develop websites, but to develop web(database)applications.

As for the inconsistant rendering: inconsistent in what way? Between the smart client and the webclient, or between browsers, or between sessions?

Paul
pbakker

Postby grahamg » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:04 pm

Experimenting with WebClient I built a test database driven website and did some testing on Saturday evening. Closed Safari and switched computer off.

Started testing again Sunday evening (not much on TV over here :) ) and was surprised to see in Server Admin that the WebClient from Saturday was still open - and consuming a license. See attached screenshot.

Is there a way to force a timeout on WebClients??

Thanks

Graham Greensall
Worxinfo Ltd
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grahamg

Return to Servoy Web Client