Beans for the web client?

Forum to discuss the Web client version of Servoy.

Beans for the web client?

Postby sanderp » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:19 am

Hi,

How does one create a bean that works in the web client, like the dbtreeview one does?
sanderp

Postby Jan Aleman » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:51 pm

Display-only beans like charting beans should work out of the box with web-client. More advanced like the treeview will require more coding.

Right now there is no public documentation on how to create interactive beans that work in the web-client as well, essentially it means you are rewriting part of your bean to work with html/wicket.

Any particular bean you're interested in porting to the web?
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby sanderp » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:04 pm

I use a JTree for navigation. Because the tree contents are somewhat dynamic and not based on a table i cannot use the DBTreeView bean. Unfortunately the JTree doesn't work in the web client.

I'm now using a modified version of the ROCLASI HTMLTree module for the web client. This works, but it's a shame that there's separate logic needed for the web client.
sanderp

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Are you using the latest version of Servoy? In 3.5.3 the treebean has been enhanced significantly. Check the releasenotes at

http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?t=9603
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby sanderp » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:33 am

Hi Jan,

I have checked the enhancements and though it is a lot more flexible than it was, as far as i can see (please correct me if i'm wrong) it still needs a table structure that reflects what should be shown in the tree.

In the application that i'm building, a user can have access to multiple "administrations", but could have different rights in each administration. The navigation tree should only show the forms that the user is supposed to have access to.

So, for example:

root
|-Administration 1
| |--invoices
| |--documents
| |--payments
| |--customers
|
|-Administration 2
| |--documents
| |--customers

A user's rights are based on a separate group of tables, that handle group and user stuff.

If i put everything below the "administration" level in a table, i guess i could add a filter on that table based on a users rights, but that same filter would then work for both administrations. I can't think of a "trick" that would solve this. Am i overlooking something?
sanderp

Postby Jan Aleman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:46 pm

Assuming this security is stored somewhere in a table you could use that table as the basis for your tree.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Re: Beans for the web client?

Postby amcgilly » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:01 am

I'm using EasyCharts from objectPlanet - http://www.objectplanet.com/easycharts/ - to do charts in Servoy and it works great in the Smart Client but the charts aren't rendering in the Web client. I'm not sure whether to talk to Servoy or ObjectPlanet about this. Anyone get this working under Web Client?

Ellen Meserow put together some sample Servoy solutions using EasyCharts a while ago: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9449&p=47245&hilit=easyCharts#p47245

so if someone at Servoy wants to test them under the web client they can perhaps use that demo.

Thank you.
Adrian McGilly
Servoy Developer

amcgilly

Postby IT2Be » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:30 pm

I'm not sure whether to talk to Servoy or ObjectPlanet about this.
This is something that you should bring up with ObjectPlanet.
Basically they have to record (part of) their Bean to work with wicket.
It depends on the type of bean how much work it is but it is never easy imho.
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby jcompagner » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:09 pm

charting beans should work, at least an image should be generated and displayed that seem to work fine with the sample crm solution which also uses beans.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby amcgilly » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Update:

I've been working with ObjectPlanet (makers of EasyCharts) on this issue and they have been very cooperative. They quickly provided me with a version of the bean that works in the web client and just today they told me that their next plublic release (v 4.0.4) will include this compatibility with the web client. Hooray!
Adrian McGilly
Servoy Developer

amcgilly

Postby dponti » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:20 am

Do the interactive parts of EasyCharts work in web client with their new release (eg. axis sliders or the tool tips that display the values of data points)?
dponti

Return to Servoy Web Client