Developer License and Application Server basics

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Developer License and Application Server basics

Postby Gordon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:49 am

I have been using the Eclipse version for some weeks to move a solution from 3.5 to 4. Despite not having the developer code inserted this has worked very well, but I am now ready to show the client and have a number of what are best described as super basic questions !!

1. I have a number fully paid up subscriptions to V3.5 developer and would like use one of these in 4. Where do you insert the developer keys ??? There is nothing in the preferences that I can see as with 3.5, is this a separate file and if so how do you get one if your a subscription client.

2. If you access the smart client from an external machine you get a message saying something like "starting of webstart clients from developer running an application server"

SO I stopped developer and tried to start the application server from both the terminal and the Sevoy icon in the servoy4 folder. Both failed the start.

I also purchased a client key and installed this via developer into servoy-admin section this key was recognized, so I have a "legal" client

I have a nasty feeling this could be very obvious and I have overlooked the issue by trying to find something complicated. If not can someone help me get the server started and allow my client to see the what they are potentially paying for. :?

Many thanks

Gordon

:?
Gordon

Postby pbakker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:05 am

Hi Gordon,

All License Keys are handled through the Admin pages in 4.

Against a Servoy 4.0 Developer environment, you cannot start clients. Only through Developer you are able to start Debug clients using the shortcuts.

For testing purposes, start a separate Servoy Application Server.

You say you tried starting an Application Server, but it failed. Any error messages? Did you have the required databases up and running?

Paul
pbakker

Postby Gordon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:45 am

Hi Paul

pbakker wrote:All License Keys are handled through the Admin pages in 4.

I added the client key to the admin accessible from developer web based admin, on check this confirmed approved.

pbakker wrote:Against a Servoy 4.0 Developer environment, you cannot start clients. Only through Developer you are able to start Debug clients using the shortcuts.

I appreciate you cant start clients via developer other than debug, however in 3.5 if you pointed a browser at the developer you could run clients on remote machines. The issue here is I guess starting the server which is essential.

pbakker wrote:You say you tried starting an Application Server, but it failed. Any error messages?

SEVERE: Catalina.start:
LifecycleException: service.getName(): "Catalina"; Protocol handler start failed: java.net.BindException: Address already in use:8080

Does this mean that in order to run the server application I need to use a totally separate machine, re install Servoy etcetc and start the server not developer via the terminal ?

pbakker wrote:Did you have the required databases up and running?

According to the Developer Admin the dbs are as expected and are live.

What I could do with is quick start guide getting the server up and running in the V4 environment if this available if not perhaps we need to write one from this thread.

Cheers
Gordon
Gordon

Postby pbakker » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:57 am

You seem to be trying to run both a Developer environment and an Application Server environment on the same machine.

This is possible, but just like in 3.5, you have to make sure there are no port conflicts.

The error you are getting says: port 8080 allready in use, which I guess means that you started Developer with default settings, so it runs on port 8080 and then you try to start the application server as well, running again on port 8080.

You need to create 2 installs: one for developer, one for the app server and configure one of the 2 to use different ports (HTTP, RMI (not when using the tunnel))

Hope this helps,

Paul
pbakker

Postby Gordon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:03 am

pbakker wrote:You seem to be trying to run both a Developer environment and an Application Server environment on the same machine.

So to clarify

1. All admin for client licenses is done via the web admin http://yourserver:8080/servoy-admin/

2. You cant run developer and server on the same machine unless you change the ports hence demos via your development environment are not possible unless you have a separate install of Servoy application server running on another port set

3. Finally developer keys for 3,5 are not going to work on 4 and we will have to wait for replacements which are added via the web admin section.

I hope I have understood this correctly and many thanks for your help.

Regards
Gordon
Gordon

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:27 pm

1. correct
2. yes and no. You can use developer to demo: just hit the smart and webclient buttons to launch clients. You can also launch remote web-clients (on other computers) you cannot launch remote smart clients without starting server
3. No. You can key in your developer key in the admin page as well, it should upgrade automatically, if it does not please email your key (and if avail your original invoicenr) to sales@servoy.com so we can investigate why it doesn't
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Gordon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:02 pm

Jan Aleman wrote:2. yes and no. You can use developer to demo: just hit the smart and webclient buttons to launch clients. You can also launch remote web-clients (on other computers) you cannot launch remote smart clients without starting server

The remote client demo did not work and presented the message detailed above. I suspect this was due the fact my developer license did not install and I will mail this to you. As far as I am concerned there are two levels of demo:

Sales Demo in which case I will use the developer as you suggest

Development - post sales demo to give the client occasional access remotely - this is where i expected to use the single client license I purchase and it would be on an invite only showing

The issue here is this did not work as above

[quote="Jan Aleman"]
3. No. You can key in your developer key in the admin page as well, it should upgrade automatically, if it does not please email your key (and if avail your original invoicenr) to sales@servoy.com so we can investigate why it doesn't[/quote

This did not happen I will mail it to you - many thanks

Gordon
Gordon

Return to Eclipse Environment