TIP: Team Support basics

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Re: TIP: Team Support basics

Postby Gary R. Schaecher » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:40 pm

Have you made sure it is changing the setting in the servoy.properties file. It should, but you never know. We had a hard coded line referencing port 1100 because of a conflict in our properties file. That line was out of sync with the settings on the admin/network page and the developer copies settings. Once we got everything in sync we could talk to our repository server again, but not until.

It only became a problem in a pre-release build 635.

Gary
Gary R. Schaecher
TMA Systems, LLC
www.tmasystems.com
Gary R. Schaecher

Postby rgansevles » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:59 pm

Robert

Try putting this line in servoy.properties for your team server:
Code: Select all
usedRMIRegistryPort=1234

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:12 am

Hi Rob,
rgansevles wrote:Try putting this line in servoy.properties for your team server:
usedRMIRegistryPort=1234

That did the trick, thanks Rob. Seems this particular property is not editable via a GUI ?
Also these settings are not per workspace are they. I would love to simply switch workspaces and use a different Serclipse server and it's settings. I guess the same goes for the database connections although this is of much less of a concern.

Anyway, I tried to share a solution to my remote serclipse teamserver and it didn't work. First it tried to share it and didn't give any messages. Then I commited the solution but that resulted in an error telling me that my user/password was incorrect. Turns out my user settings are completely gone in my teamserver while I had to login with these same credentials into the admin pages 1 minute before :!: .

So I added a user again, added it to the administrators group.
Unshared the solution, shared it again to the teamserver, *poof* user gone... :evil:

Okay, I added the user again and didn't unshare the solution. Now I committed the solution and it worked (and my user is still there)

It seems that adding a user into the repository in 4 (and keep it there!) has quite some issues/constraints. First it requires that at least 1 solution is in the repository or it doesn't hold any users (gave me a lot of headaches before...). But I did that.
But now it seems sharing a solution to the teamserver kills it again.

Anyone else is seeing this ?
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby mboegem » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:48 am

Hi Robert,

I've seen users dissapear constantly when I first started off using 4.0.
This was to blame on users not being in serclipse (rightclick onthe security-node and select 'edit users/groups')
As soon as I created my users there, everything synced with the teamserver and never had the problems again.
So it seems that users created in the admin-pages are not synced so well to developer.

I would love to simply switch workspaces and use a different Serclipse server and it's settings. I guess the same goes for the database connections although this is of much less of a concern.

You can use about the same trick as before: create a shortcut which executes the following line:

"C:\Program Files\Servoy 4\developer\servoy.exe" -data "<WORKSPACE_LOCATION>" -vmargs -Xms40m -Xmx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Dproperty-file=<SERVOY_PROPERTIES_FILE>

in the line above, <WORKSPACE_LOCATION> is a full-path to the workspace you'd like to use (please note the quotes around the location). <SERVOY_PROPERTIES_FILE> is the name of the properties file you'd like to use.
I guess you can figure out that the executable location of serclipse maybe different from the one I use...

I work with different settings in the office (local ip adresses, central db server), outside the office (external ip adresses, local db server) and testenvironment (complete local).
This works really great (credits to Paul Bakker, who passed me the trick... )

It's all back to 'newbie' again so it seems. It takes some time to find the 'new way' to do your 'old habits' ;-)
I hope this can help you getting around some issues.
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby ROCLASI » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:20 am

Hi Marc,

mboegem wrote:I've seen users dissapear constantly when I first started off using 4.0.

Ditto here.
mboegem wrote:This was to blame on users not being in serclipse (rightclick onthe security-node and select 'edit users/groups')
As soon as I created my users there, everything synced with the teamserver and never had the problems again.
So it seems that users created in the admin-pages are not synced so well to developer.

In my case the teamserver was remote and the Developer in question had very little to do with it other then being able to login using a user/password.
Maybe the issues are related. I will file a bug report on this.

mboegem wrote:You can use about the same trick as before: create a shortcut which executes the following line:

"C:\Program Files\Servoy 4\developer\servoy.exe" -data "<WORKSPACE_LOCATION>" -vmargs -Xms40m -Xmx256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256M -Dproperty-file=<SERVOY_PROPERTIES_FILE>

in the line above, <WORKSPACE_LOCATION> is a full-path to the workspace you'd like to use (please note the quotes around the location). <SERVOY_PROPERTIES_FILE> is the name of the properties file you'd like to use.
I guess you can figure out that the executable location of serclipse maybe different from the one I use...

Nice! On Mac that means you duplicate the Servoy.app, right-click and select 'Show Package Contents'.
And edit the Servoy.ini in the Contents/MacOS/ directory:
-vmargs
-Xdock:icon=../Resources/serv.icns
-XstartOnFirstThread
-Xms64m
-Xmx384m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256M
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts
-Dservoy.application_server.dir=/Applications/Servoy 4.0.1/application_server
-Dproperty-file=/Path/To/Other/servoy.propertiesfile

Not sure if the -data (workspace) argument is needed since you can easily switch workspaces in Eclipse already.

mboegem wrote:It's all back to 'newbie' again so it seems. It takes some time to find the 'new way' to do your 'old habits' ;-)
I hope this can help you getting around some issues.

New features makes us newbies again indeed. Especially with such a big overhaul in Developer with version 4.
Anyway, I dropped the Serclipse teamserver approach and started using the lightweight svnserve server with multiple repositories.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby mboegem » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:37 pm

ROCLASI wrote:In my case the teamserver was remote and the Developer in question had very little to do with it other then being able to login using a user/password.

that makes two! Still, on the first sync... users gone...

ROCLASI wrote:Not sure if the -data (workspace) argument is needed since you can easily switch workspaces in Eclipse already.

Since I just create a shortcut using windows OS, I include this for the ease of use. Just shortcuts don't bother me 'diskspace'-wise.
Otherwise I'd think of Eclipse constantly asking me which workspace to use on startup...
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby ROCLASI » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi Marc,

mboegem wrote:Since I just create a shortcut using windows OS, I include this for the ease of use. Just shortcuts don't bother me 'diskspace'-wise.
Otherwise I'd think of Eclipse constantly asking me which workspace to use on startup...

Eclipse simply opens the last workspace you had open when you last quit it. You can switch (and create new) workspaces via the menubar > File > Switch Workspaces.

Hope this helps.

P.s. submitted issue #162675 on the wipe-users-on-share issue.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby Gabi Boros » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:32 am

the wipe-users-on-share issue is fixed in the next release.
to avoid user delete on new share until the new release, make sure
you do an update on the resource project before commit
Gabi Boros
Servoy
Gabi Boros

Postby swingman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:30 pm

agiletortoise wrote:Well, here's a good place to start: http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion

I much prefer Git. I know the tools. I like the distributed nature of it. It's much more trivial to manage branches, etc., etc....but, it doesn't integrate with Eclipse at this time.

It's just a personal preference...and, yes, I'm a weirdo. I'm sure I'll be the only person out there using this setup. :-)

greg.

You are no longer the only one, I'm about to set up Git with Servoy 5.1. Any tips?
Christian Batchelor
Certified Servoy Developer
Batchelor Associates Ltd, London, UK
http://www.batchelorassociates.co.uk

http://www.postgresql.org - The world's most advanced open source database.
swingman

Postby antonio » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Interested to know of your experience with Github and Serclipse. How'd it go? I'm using Subversion / Unfuddle in Servoy 5 which works fine but seems rather slow.
Tony
Servoy 8 - 2022.03 LTS
antonio

Previous

Return to Eclipse Environment