Rename Solution?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Rename Solution?

Postby Yeroc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:20 am

Here's a very basic thing I can't figure out how to do. How do I rename a solution in Servoy Eclipse? I've searched on the forums and didn't find a solution either but I'm guessing I'm just overlooking something really obvious.

Thanks,
Corey

Edit: This is using Servoy v4.1.0 RC1.
Yeroc

Re: Rename Solution?

Postby Joas » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:24 am

To do this, you have to export your solution and do a so-called "clean import". That goes pretty much the same as a normal import, except that you have to check "clean import" and fill in the new solution name on the import page.
Joas de Haan
Yield Software Development
Need help on your project? yieldsd.com
Joas
Site Admin

Postby lvostinar » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:15 pm

There is also an action to rename a solution from developer; the action shows for solutions which are not connected to a team provider and also solution must not be active.
Laurian Vostinar
Servoy
lvostinar

Postby Yeroc » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:52 pm

Thanks a lot Ivostinar. That's what I was looking for. Is there a plan to relax the limitations on only allowing rename if the solution is not active or connected to a team provider? The second limitation in particular is rather important since a solution rename wouldn't be reflected in Subversion (which is what we are using.)

Thanks,
Corey
Yeroc

Postby lvostinar » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:42 am

The problem is that servoy solution has the same name as eclipse project, so renaming a solution also changes the project and implicitly the path on file system. So, renaming a solution with team provider attached is somehow tricky. What you can try is to remove share, rename and share again in svn ( I would suggest another svn repository); so like a completely different solution. We'll be looking at a way to rename with team provider attached but not sure when this is going to happen ...
Laurian Vostinar
Servoy
lvostinar

Postby Yeroc » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:18 pm

I understand there are some complications. Just for your information Eclipse supports renaming projects so maybe there's code there you can look at or reuse when implementing this. The big issue with removing team sharing, renaming and then sharing again is that Subversion can't track the rename and thus you lose the linkage to all your previous history.

Anyway, thanks for your response.
Yeroc

Postby jcompagner » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:32 pm

yes eclipse supports renaming of dir
The problem is that the dir is a container for an svn checkout, that dir itself is not a shared thing.
So if you rename a solution what you really want is commit the directory/project rename also but this doesnt happen.

So for this to really fix we need to do some more stuff so that the name of the project doesnt have to be the solution name,so that they are not related.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Eclipse Environment