SVN - Add to Version Control

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

SVN - Add to Version Control

Postby cyarbrough » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:02 am

I added a form object to a tabpanel, then syched and committed. The object can now be found in my workspace in the form\tabpanel directory, but the new object doesn't indicate that it is being tracked by svn, where as the other objects on the tabpanel do indicate they are updated with the little green check mark. I would think that once I add the object to a tabpanel (or anything else in a solution), SVN would begin tracking it once I commit. However, it doesn't appear to be doing that. I see that there is a "Add to Version Control" option. I assume if I set that, then SVN will begin tracking that particular object (why isn't that automatic?), however, I can't find the object anywhere in the solution, since it's inside of a tabpanel, there's no corresponding object in the solution explorer pane. If this makes any sense to you, can you help me figure out how to get this new object into SVN?

Thanks!
Chuck
cyarbrough

Re: SVN - Add to Version Control

Postby ngervasi » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:08 pm

Are you sure that you added the form to the same solution that you share on SVN? Looks like you added it to a module and that module is not shared to SVN. Other option: are you sure that you checked it out when committing? If you use Tigris Subclipse you have to check all the files when you commit changes to SVN, don't know about Subversive. Just a few toughts.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Postby cyarbrough » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi Nicola, you were right, I needed to check out / add the individual objects. My thinking is that if I add an object to a form, and the form is already being controlled by svn, then why do I have to add each new object. Seems like there should be a way to add all new objects...is there? Maybe I just haven't found that one yet.

I am having another problem though, if I have a tabpanel, and add objects to the panel, I can see the tabpanel object in Solution Explorer, but I can't see the individual objects inside the tabpanel (I can see them in form editor, just not in the Sol Explorer tree). On disk, the tabpanel is an object and there is a tabpanel folder containing the objects that sit on the tabpanel object. Is this a bug? Seems like if I could get to the objects on the tabpanel in the sol explorer, then I'd be able to specifically request that those objects be added to version control. Since I can't, they never get committed.
cyarbrough

Postby ngervasi » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:14 pm

cyarbrough wrote:Hi Nicola, you were right, I needed to check out / add the individual objects. My thinking is that if I add an object to a form, and the form is already being controlled by svn, then why do I have to add each new object. Seems like there should be a way to add all new objects...is there? Maybe I just haven't found that one yet.

Wait, if you share a solution or module to SVN every change you apply to that solution or module is automatically shared, non need to share every single file or object (as you call them). If this is not happening for you check if the solution/module has the "Servoy nature" by right clicking the solution node in the tree.
What I was saying in the other post is a different thing: if you have solution A shared to SVN and you add a form of solution B (module of Solution A) to a tab panel in solution A, that form WON'T be shared to SVN because it's part of solution B that is not shared. Pfff, hope you get the point...

cyarbrough wrote:I am having another problem though, if I have a tabpanel, and add objects to the panel, I can see the tabpanel object in Solution Explorer, but I can't see the individual objects inside the tabpanel (I can see them in form editor, just not in the Sol Explorer tree)

If you add a form in a tab panel you will never see the form in the Solution Tree. The solution tree only shows the named elements (buttons, fields, tabpanels, beans, etc) and the relations; if you added the form in the tabpanel using a relation you can access the form foundset by using the correct relation from the tree, if you added the form as "unrelated" you have to access the tabbed form foundset directly from his node in the tree.
Nicola Gervasi
sintpro.com
SAN Partner
ngervasi

Return to Eclipse Environment