Time to upgrade Servoy to Ganymede?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Time to upgrade Servoy to Ganymede?

Postby ROCLASI » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:46 pm

I tried to install a Git plugin for Eclipse to see what all the fuzz is about this distributed SCM. Turns out it requires Eclipse 3.4.x (Ganymede).
Checking what version of Eclipse is used in Servoy 4.1.1 shows version 3.3.2. In other words 'Europa'.
Checking the Eclipse site I see they list the latest version to be Ganymede 3.4.2.

Seems we are using 'last year's technology' here ;)

I recall Ilyse also complaining about not being able to install the (commercial) TaskTop plugin because of this same reason.

Will Servoy move to Ganymede soon (4.1.x/4.2) or is the planning to become a true Eclipse plugin before that ?
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Re: Time to upgrade Servoy to Ganymede?

Postby kazar » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:03 am

Actually, there is a Rally integrator and Tasktop plug-in that do work with Eclipse 3.3. (Tasktop is the commercial version of Mylyn, $99/year, worth looking at.... written by the same guys who have been the leads on the Mylyn project.) But I do wonder "for how much longer" my fave plug-in and integrator vendors will keep updating the versions for Eclipse 3.3.

What Robert is thinking of was my mention to him that I was looking at some UML/DB Engineering tools with the aim of being able to design, forward-engineer, etc. all within the same Eclipse IDE. (Or within the Servoy RCA version of Eclipse, or would that be the Eclipse version of Servoy?)

Anyhow, with Eclipse flourishing and many companies and OS projects building plug-ins, many of them are just starting with 3.4 and have no 3.3 version. Therefore the "I" of the "IDE" dream is not fully realized, and it might be necessary for now to run two instances of Eclipse to access all the plug-ins/perspectives one might wish to use. Which is a shame because then one's tasks are in different places. And which one do you pull the bugzilla issues into, and that sort of question.... And you need lots and lots of RAM, from the results I see here, to run two instances of Eclipse plus one's email, browser, and whatever else one needs while developing. And maybe three monitors, lol.

So I look forward to the day my IDE is really Integrated. From the developer's standpoint there is a strong case for wanting Servoy to run in Ganymede. From Servoy's standpoint I wouldn't claim to have a clue what's involved in prepping a version to run within 3.4 or releasing it as a true Eclipse plug-in. I'm sure stability and a logical and methodical road map forward are behind it all. There are other vendors who also create Eclipse-based RCAs rather than plug-ins and I would imagine having control one's software running within an optimized configuration might be a major consideration ....

Point is, "I don't know enough on the topic to insist." But I certainly join Robert in putting forth my wish for Servoy either staying reasonably promptly aligned with the latest release of Eclipse, or just becoming a plug-in. And updatable "the normal way" too. But I would not want this at the expense of stability or some other consideration that may not be obvious to me sitting here.

kazar
kazar

Postby agiletortoise » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:36 am

1) If you have used Subversion and are comfortable with the regular regiment of a VCS, you will love Git once you "grok" it. Much more flexible and easy to use for the variety of complicated can come up. It become painless to branch your code regularly for little tweaks and testing variations in ways that are a hassle in Subversion or CVS.

2) I'm using Git with Servoy. I am not trying to use any of the Eclipse plugins. I'm happy using it from the command line. That said, I'm only using it w/ Servoy on projects where I am the only developer so far, and haven't had to do extensively complex merges, etc. where have the IDE integration might become more important.

3) Git can play nice with a Subversion repository. You can checkout a subversion repo and work with it locally with Git, then have Git push your changes back to SVN. Might be a good way to get your feet wet if you have code under Subversion.

4) There are nice Git GUI tools that can work on their own outside Eclipse. On Mac, I use GitNub and GitX. It also comes with GitK, a TK based client.

My $0.02.

greg.
Greg Pierce
Agile Tortoise
SAN Developer
http://www.agiletortoise.com
agiletortoise

Postby jcompagner » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:07 pm

the planning is that Servoy 4.2 will be upgraded to 3.5 (galileo) so we plan to skip 3.4 all together.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby kazar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:54 am

thank you Johan, it is so helpful to have this info!

kazar
kazar

Return to Eclipse Environment