Second Eclipse For Java & Bean Development ?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Second Eclipse For Java & Bean Development ?

Postby Kahuna » Sun May 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Being inexperienced in Java and Eclipse, I was wondering if I will face a challenge by installing a second copy of Eclipse - with which to try-out some Java and Bean development.

I don't want to destroy my Servoy install's and I understand that I cant use other Eclipse plug-ins with the Servoy Eclipse version (?) such as visual developer etc.

How do others handle this situation?
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Re: Second Eclipse For Java & Bean Development ?

Postby Thomas Parry » Sun May 10, 2009 6:15 pm

I have had Eclipse running for quite a while prior to Servoy and had no interaction problems. I just install the eclipse to a separate directory from any Servoy directory and the two should remain separate. I believe that Servoy keeps its own eclipse version in its directory tree so no interaction should occur. Just remember that when you update your "private" eclipse or add eclipse plugins that they are not going to affect the Servoy installation.
Tom Parry
Prospect IT
Java/C++/Servoy/Jasper Reports/Simulation/Service Applications
http://www.prospect-saas.biz
Thomas Parry

Postby ptalbot » Mon May 11, 2009 5:52 am

It is not true that you can't use Servoy Eclipse distribution to install third party plugin, however some of them might not work, but that's only because the Servoy installation is somewhat improperly configured, see this post for details:
http://forum.servoy.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12389
I sincerely hope that these issues will be fixed, so that will allow all of us using Servoy as a regular Eclipse distribution, or maybe make Servoy a real Eclipse plugin, that would be the best!

Just remember that Servoy is based on the Europa version of Eclipse (3.3).
I have installed SVN Subversive, Aquarius ORM Studio, Azzurri Clay and WireframeSketcher and used them inside Servoy Eclipse 4.1.2 (the latter worked on one installation not on another, I can't say why!)

I also use Servoy to write Java plugins and beans: all you have to do is create a Java project and activate the "Java" perspective, it works just as any Eclipse would... It's great to have everything in the same environment and use the powerful perpective switching and customizing features.

But anywya, if you prefer working ouside of Servoy for Java development, you can install another Eclipse on your hard disk and they won't interfere. I regularly use 3 different install of Eclipse on my PC: Servoy, MyEclipse and Talend Open Studio, they all work seamlessly. In the past I used a few more like RadRails and oXygen and never had any problems.
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby Kahuna » Mon May 11, 2009 9:31 am

Thanks Guys - all good info.

I'd really prefer to use the same single environment but being inexperienced I'm concerned I'll screw up my Servoy system - and that would be a bad thing!

Have you used VisualDveloper in Eclipse for building beans?

In the short term I'll install another version of Eclipse.
(Servoy Version: 6.0.7 Win XP / 7 - SQL Server 2008 R2)
Ian Cordingley (Kahuna)
Kahuna

Postby IT2Be » Mon May 11, 2009 11:31 am

It is a really a matter of personal preference.

I don't like to mix my Servoy stuff with the development of Plug-ins and Beans (and others) so I really like to keep them separate.

Works without any issue...
Marcel J.G. Trapman (IT2BE)
SAN partner - Freelance Java and Servoy
Servoy Components - IT2BE Plug-ins and Beans for Servoy
ServoyForge - Open Source Components for Servoy
IT2Be
Servoy Expert

Postby Thomas Parry » Mon May 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Yes Marcel, good advice - to keep them separate until we are assured that there is no interference or other impact.
Tom Parry
Prospect IT
Java/C++/Servoy/Jasper Reports/Simulation/Service Applications
http://www.prospect-saas.biz
Thomas Parry

Postby Foobrother » Mon May 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Personally I also prefer to keep them separate to avoid mistakes which could stupidly corrupt one of my solutions/plug-in/beans. But also because I don't like to mix Java projects with JavaScript ones, which is slightly different for me who never used JavaScript 3 month ago :lol:
So Servoy Eclipse for JavaScript and Eclipse for pure Java. :)
Current configuration: Servoy 5.2.6 Build 1011, Java 6u24, PostgreSQL 8.3, Windows Server 2003

Servoy / Java Developer
http://www.assetguardian.com
Foobrother

Return to Eclipse Environment