How can I view resources from several solutions at once?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

How can I view resources from several solutions at once?

Postby amcgilly » Tue May 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Sometimes in Eclipse I need to see resources (code, forms, etc) from several solutions at the same time. If these solutions aren't related (i.e. neither is a module of the other) then I'm not sure how to do this. Currently, when I activate one solution, all resource editors from the previously active solution are automatically closed.

Is it possible? Is this what Working Sets are all about? How is it done?

Thanks.

Side question: the little help buttons (?) that I see throughout Eclipse - they don't do anything when clicked. Is that normal?
Adrian McGilly
Servoy Developer

amcgilly

Re: How can I view resources from several solutions at once?

Postby ptalbot » Wed May 13, 2009 2:49 am

Hi Adrian,

if you use the Navigator view (Window -> Show View -> Other... then General -> Navigator - you can drag it in the same pane as the Servoy "Solution Explorer"), you can open as many resources as you want, even if the solutions/modules are not related/open in the solution explorer.
Just remember that .obj = a Servoy "object" (a form or a field on a form, a relation, etc.) and .js are the scripts.
You can open them!

At first it can seem a bit confusing but you will quickly learn to navigate inside your solutions this way, knowing that each solution will appear as a project folder.

In the project folder , you will likely find "solution_settings.obj" (the solution identifier), "globals.js" (your globals functions and vars), "rootmetatdata.obj" (your solution preferences)
You will also find a few folders with self explanatory names : "forms", "medias", "relations", "valuelists" - ".stp" is the Servoy Developer cache

In the "forms" folder, you will find a "xxxx.obj" file and a corresponding folder for each forms, the .obj here is your form, open it and it will open just like it would if you choose "Open in form designer". In the corresponding folder, you will find a xxxx_method.js for your method forms and plenty of ".obj" files for each of the object on your form, some of them with the names you gave, some of them with a generic name "sv_" + the Uuid of he object + ".obj", they all are property files (they look like some kind of JSON serialized form to me)

So that's it, that's how you will be able to open as many objects, forms, scripts as you like, related or not!

As for the "Working set" they are a powerful way of organizing your projects in the Navigator (or Java Package) view, when you have lots of solutions and want to avoid the clutter they help grouping projects together.

Hope this helps,
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby Roberto Blasco » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:51 pm

Great trick. Thanks.
Un saludo. Roberto.

Madrid - Spain
Tfno: (+34) 625653066
E-mail: roberto.blasco.serrano@gmail.com
Roberto Blasco

Postby ptalbot » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Note that with Servoy 5, the .obj files are no longer there, their content is all inside the .frm files now.
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby rgansevles » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:46 am

Note that man many of the servoy editors expect the matching solution to be the active (or in a module of the active solution), you may have issues in finding stuff or even get internal errors.

Rob
Rob Gansevles
Servoy
rgansevles

Return to Eclipse Environment