Restart Application Server without restarting Eclipse?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Restart Application Server without restarting Eclipse?

Postby Yeroc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:26 pm

All,

I'm wondering if it's possible to restart the embedded application server (Tomcat) without restarting the whole Servoy developer environment (Eclipse). The reason I ask is that I'm frequently changing settings through the admin console and am forced to restart by closing down Eclipse and restarting. This takes quite a while with our project as Servoy seems to pull a LOT of data out of the database on startup.

Thanks,
Corey
Yeroc

Re: Restart Application Server without restarting Eclipse?

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:50 pm

no this is not possible

what settings are you constantly changing and why is that importand for you in eclipse?
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Yeroc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:49 pm

It's partly settings changes (for plugins) and jar file updates as I'm doing plugin development.

What seems to make the startup time take so long is that we have many objects in our database schema. I can see from my network monitoring tools that Servoy is pulling several MBs (!) of data over the wire from our database on every startup -- this takes several minutes. Perhaps if this database synchronization (or whatever is going on) could be disabled it would help quite a bit. As it stands right now the Servoy developer comes up and appears to be ready but when I launch the Webclient I get an error in the web browser "The debugger is not connected, please start it throught the start web client button.". If I wait a few more minutes then it works properly. Not sure if that is a bug or not but it's certainly annoying.

Note: I'm running v4.1.3 i6.

Thanks,
Corey
Yeroc

Postby jcompagner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:58 pm

Yeroc wrote:It's partly settings changes (for plugins) and jar file updates as I'm doing plugin development.

yes if you constantly do plugin updates then you will need to restart :(
Because it is not just the appserver. Its almost everything of servoy developer that depens on the plugins (solution explorer tree, script editor code completion)

Yeroc wrote:What seems to make the startup time take so long is that we have many objects in our database schema. I can see from my network monitoring tools that Servoy is pulling several MBs (!) of data over the wire from our database on every startup -- this takes several minutes. Perhaps if this database synchronization (or whatever is going on) could be disabled it would help quite a bit. As it stands right now the Servoy developer comes up and appears to be ready but when I launch the Webclient I get an error in the web browser "The debugger is not connected, please start it throught the start web client button.". If I wait a few more minutes then it works properly. Not sure if that is a bug or not but it's certainly annoying.

yes we seen this before when the database is really remote and slow.
Thats because the servoy builder is busy and the the debugger waits on that. But the url is opened a bit earlier because the start debug already returns to us saying true (that the start will be done)

We have to see if we can fix this. But the problem is that the developer dont really needs it but your client that you start does need it anyway...
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Eclipse Environment