Performing file searches

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Performing file searches

Postby gdotzlaw » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:15 am

There is great control over your searches, but for large solutions, one important thing is missing.

I have 28,489 files in my workspace from the modules making up my workspace. I have 1,526 *.js files containing methods, and 25,222 *.obj files containing forms and their elements. Doing a search to find references for a method is quite fast, since I have a brand new and very fast machine. However, searching for a form name in files of type *.obj, to see what tab panels are using the form in the workspace, results in a coffee break. The problem is there is no way to limit the search to just tab panels, so every element (buttons, labels, etc.) has to be searched. It finds the result, but could be much more efficient. I could imagine the same problem if I was looking for where a global field is used on layouts, for example. Is there some way to restrict the search to only certain types of object files? Mabye I'm doing the search incorrectly.

Also, I noticed a very unusual dialog during these long searches. After a search has been running for a long time, the progress dialog displays the message "BEAUTIFUL.......PLEASE WATCH!(11.1 KB)". I searched my workspace (and my laptop) and can not find any such text, so it must be in the search engine itself. Perhaps if one were to search 100,000 files in a really large solution, it shows a message like "ENOUGH....PLEASE STOP ALREADY!"
Attachments
SearchDialog.jpg
SearchDialog.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 4728 times
Gary
---------------------------------------------
Dotzlaw Consulting
gdotzlaw

Re: Performing file searches

Postby ptalbot » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:08 pm

:) Looks like you found an Eclipse Easter Egg!

Maybe to constrain your searches you could go to the Navigator view, select the nodes you want to search on, and perform a search on "Selected Resources"...
Or create some working sets for searching, but I cannot imagine any other way...
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby lvostinar » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:29 am

It seems in Eclipse 3.5 search is much faster, so this should be improved in Servoy 5.0 .
Laurian Vostinar
Servoy
lvostinar

Postby gdotzlaw » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:41 am

Okay, I'm confused. How do I create working sets with Servoy in Eclipse?

I use Mylyn with Tasktop (awesome!), so I see how to create working sets with tasks, but I don't see how to create working sets in Servoy that I can use for searches. Can you expand a little on your suggestion?

Thanks.
Gary
Dotzlaw Consulting
gdotzlaw

Postby david » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:08 am

Awesome :)
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby ptalbot » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:56 pm

gdotzlaw wrote:Okay, I'm confused. How do I create working sets with Servoy in Eclipse?

I use Mylyn with Tasktop (awesome!), so I see how to create working sets with tasks, but I don't see how to create working sets in Servoy that I can use for searches. Can you expand a little on your suggestion?

Thanks.

Use the "Navigator" View (if you don't have it open, choose Window > Show View > Others... then deploy the Generat Tab and choose Navigator).

Click on the little triangle on the top right of the view and choose "Select Working Set..." which will open a dialog allowing you to define any kind of working set (For Servoy use "Resource")

Hope this helps.
Patrick Talbot
Freelance - Open Source - Servoy Valued Professional
https://www.servoyforge.net
Velocity rules! If you don't use it, you don't know what you're missing!
ptalbot

Postby gdotzlaw » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Thanks, I see now how to create working sets with my Servoy resources. I was getting confused by my mylyn working sets for task categories which also appear in the dialog.
Gary
Dotzlaw Consulting
gdotzlaw

Return to Eclipse Environment