Project Sharing and Comit in Servoy 5

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Project Sharing and Comit in Servoy 5

Postby dpearce » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm

I am sorry to be a pain, but i really am trrying to get my head around Servoy 5 having missed out 4 nearly completely.

I have my solution in developer (in the workspace i assume.

I have a local repository configured in my solution and also a version on my server running on port 8045 so not to conflict with 3.5.10 my production environment.

I goto share project and enter the web address of my server and the MYSQL username and password (is this correct or do i need to enter the application server domain with port and the username and password of the application server). Any using my sql login, i dont get an error, just a continually moving little activity bar in the bottom right of my screen saying Sharing "Recover" ||||||| and a yellow dot.

However, reading the post on pushing my solution to the application server (which has team set-up on it), i seem to have to "Comit" my solution from developer to the server, but I cannot anywhere find the "Comit" command. I right click on my solution, go into team and all i have is Share Project or Apply Patch. Compare is greyed out on Each other.

I think I must be missing something here, but i have spent 3 hours and am going round in circles i think!

Can anyone give me some simple instructions on sharing with a remote team application server and comiting my local workspace project to it. In 3.5. i just point developer to the remote server as the repository and it worked fine!

Many thanks, I am sure its something very stupid and simple I need to be doing.

Davidf
dpearce

Re: Project Sharing and Comit in Servoy 5

Postby dpearce » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:11 pm

I managed to get this working with my local repository OK.

But I think my issue is addressing the remote server repository that I wish to deploy my solution to.

The only thing I have done to this remote application server is change the port to 8045 so that it doesnt conflict with my 3.5.10 solution.

whatever i seem to enter in the repository domain, user and password box seems to hang on this sharing progress bar which does nothing.

do i need to change to port or something, the manual for 4, suggest i use the application server administrator password. so should it be

domain:8045 and then the admin user and password for the servoy application server? nothing seems to work!

Help!
dpearce

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 am

Hi David,

In 4/5 things work a little different as you have noticed.
When you work in Developer you don't work from the repository database anymore but from the workspace (a directory on your local harddrive).
So even when you run the debug client in Developer you are still running from your local workspace. In fact, if you are the only developer and don't use a Servoy Teamserver then this is all you need. No Repository DB required in development.

Of course for deployment you do need a repository database because Servoy Server (still) needs it.
And to deploy your solutions to this deployment server you simply export the solution from your workspace (Developer) to a .servoy file and import that into the server using the Servoy-admin pages.
Nothing new here from 3.5 and below.

Now, using a TeamServer is something completely new in Servoy 4/5. For one you don't use your deployment server as a teamserver (although I think a bunch of you out there are in fact doing just that...it's NOT recommended) .
It's best practice to have a Servoy server install that is ONLY used as a teamserver next to a Servoy install that is the server that runs the clients of of it.

You use the term 'deploy' and 'commit' like they are the same thing in this case but they are in fact 2 seperate things. Deploy would mean export/import like you always did. Commit means you send some changes of code to a team server (be it Servoy,Subversion or another flavor).

For more reading on how to use/setup Servoy Team Server check out the following thread:
viewtopic.php?t=11054

As you will be reading the RMI port is also important.

Servoy also has an older PDF that explains things as well.
http://www.servoy.com/docs/servoy_4/ser ... upport.pdf

At ServoyCamp 2009 I did a workshop on Subversion but it also touches on Servoy Team Server a bit (to compare features).
The slides are here.
The video of the workshop can be viewed here, but I suggest you read the slides first.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby dpearce » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:53 am

Robert many thanks for this.

What I was trying to do was to avoid the slightly cumbersome job of doing an export, moving that file to my remote server and doing an import again.

It seemed that using the team server set-up on my live server, as i am the only developer, I could program in developer and then when I was happy with the code locally just comit it to the main server with a single click as it were.

I cant get this remote server to work when i try to 'share project'. Maybe this is not the way i should work, so i will check out your slides.

David
dpearce

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:59 am

Hi David,

dpearce wrote:What I was trying to do was to avoid the slightly cumbersome job of doing an export, moving that file to my remote server and doing an import again.

No need to move files over to other servers, just open the servoy-admin pages in your browser (http://yourserver:8080/servoy-admin) and import the solution. This is how it has always worked.

dpearce wrote:It seemed that using the team server set-up on my live server, as i am the only developer, I could program in developer and then when I was happy with the code locally just comit it to the main server with a single click as it were.

It might be 'a single click' to push it to the server but to make it visible to the clients you are then required to restart Servoy server. So it's not that convenient at all.
When you import the solution via the servoy-admin pages then this new release is immediately visible for newly connected clients, no restart of the server required.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby dpearce » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks Robert,

Whats good is that the import from the server admin seems to work better in 5, in 3.5 i always found that i had to move my file to the server first and import it using remote desktop on the server, as it kept timing out.

In 5 this seems to work much better from my local machine.

I will watch your video, but i think maybe the team server is overkill for me, i tried it on my developer with a local repository and it came up with some conflicts and then on the syncronisation it seemed to want to overwrite the local copy not the repository copy, which is the reverse of what I think should happen, but I will have a good watch of your video, as you seem to suggest that as a backup this is a good idea even for a single developer.

David
dpearce

Postby ROCLASI » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi David,

Since the workspace is nothing more than a directory with files this also means you don't have the benefits of an RDBMS anymore.
With an RDBMS that implemented ACID properly (and fully) you are certain that when you do a save and it is successful that your data is in tact on the disk. With a filesystem you don't have these ACID properties. So your files can become corrupt.

So I suggest you use any form of backup. May it be a team server like Servoy or Subversion or perhaps just a hourly script that backs up the changed files. If you are on a Mac you can use the built-in Time Machine for this.
Robert Ivens

--
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Return to Eclipse Environment