solution sharing

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

solution sharing

Postby lesouef » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:02 pm

Trying to find the best way to deploy a solution. The servoy docs recommand to share the solution to the server repository, but this works only if you are on the server LAN or via a VPN. When you deploy to a remote site, what shall I use? export solution and import on server via webadmin as we did wit v3.5?

Something not handled by team sharing/commit, can someone confirm this:
When comitting a solution, I did it on the wrong server, and the connection was accepted because I have the same account credentials on both but not the repository. Is the commiting procedure checking also if the db exists? I had to kill the process...

Another comitting pb: since I don't like very much this workspace stuff, I want to store all my solutions in my local repository. This way it is backedup with the overall backup I have on the dbs. I don't need sharing as I work on my own, but use it to store the solution in the repository. It worked on a 1st test solution, and now it hangs half way when committing a second new solution. Event displaying details shows nothing but a progress bar which stays frozen at 50%: is there a log file of what it does? because I don't even where to look for?

Is there a way to work to work without the workspace, directly in the db as did the 3.5? I guess this is an eclipse requirement but just in case.
lesouef

Re: solution sharing

Postby lesouef » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:15 pm

add-on
after 20mn it came back (so was not frozen) saying I have conflicts, but where is that? even using the team sync perspective, no feedback...
lesouef

Postby ROCLASI » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:35 pm

lesouef wrote:Trying to find the best way to deploy a solution. The servoy docs recommand to share the solution to the server repository, but this works only if you are on the server LAN or via a VPN. When you deploy to a remote site, what shall I use? export solution and import on server via webadmin as we did wit v3.5?

That is the only recommended way to deploy your solution. Using team sharing or even dumping/restoring your repository db are technically options you can use for deployment but is not recommended. Use the web interface.

lesouef wrote:Something not handled by team sharing/commit, can someone confirm this:
When comitting a solution, I did it on the wrong server, and the connection was accepted because I have the same account credentials on both but not the repository. Is the commiting procedure checking also if the db exists? I had to kill the process...

I doubt that when using Servoy server as a teamserver it will check for the database connections. But perhaps one of the servoyans can answer that. But keep in mind. When you share the solution to a teamserver it's not the same as deploying.

lesouef wrote:Another comitting pb: since I don't like very much this workspace stuff, I want to store all my solutions in my local repository. This way it is backedup with the overall backup I have on the dbs. I don't need sharing as I work on my own, but use it to store the solution in the repository. It worked on a 1st test solution, and now it hangs half way when committing a second new solution. Event displaying details shows nothing but a progress bar which stays frozen at 50%: is there a log file of what it does? because I don't even where to look for?

Did you look in the Error view in Eclipse? Also check the servoy log (see the application_server directoy).

lesouef wrote:Is there a way to work to work without the workspace, directly in the db as did the 3.5? I guess this is an eclipse requirement but just in case.

Eclipse works only with the workspace.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby lesouef » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:54 pm

I guess you mean the problems view, all empty. obviously something is wrong in my installation, but no idea what.
the servoy log itself show nothing special apart from the 0k .jars present in the installation for quite a while. but this is been reported before here, and still present...
lesouef

Postby lesouef » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:08 am

and nothing is wrong in the wqy I do it. I have another installation where the repository is mysql, and this works ok.
btw, I would vote for different terms for team sharing:
sharing is rather repository management
commit is write to repository
update is write from repository (back to workspace)
and compare with repository.
I think I'll work w/o the mssql repository for a while on this machine, export solution and load it to the server using the web admin. not smart for sure, but these conflicts generate no extra information, not even in sql logs. would have been instresting to have a verbose mode of the sync process.
lesouef

Return to Eclipse Environment