Activation of solution very slow

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Activation of solution very slow

Postby xtsr » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi

For a while now, preparing my solution for editing takes a very long time, about 15 minutes. I'm working on a MacBook Air 2.13 GHz with 4 GB RAM. I did not have this problem before. After the solution is loaded, I have no performance issues anymore.

Has anyone else experienced something like that? What's the solution?

Kr
Reto

PS: Using Servoy Version: 4.1.7 - build 690 on OS X 10.6.7 with Java SE6 and MySQL 5.1.41 as backend
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 15.01.41.png
This takes about 15 minutes...
Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 15.01.41.png (30.04 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
xtsr

Re: Activation of solution very slow

Postby jcompagner » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:43 am

its very hard to figure out what it then exactly wants to do
But are all the databases that you use really accessible?
Also are all the relations and so on valid (so they can be resolved just fine, no errors?)
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby xtsr » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:12 pm

All databases are accessible. There's nothing in the Problem tab. What's the best way to find out if all relations are OK?
xtsr

Postby jcompagner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:33 am

xtsr wrote:All databases are accessible. There's nothing in the Problem tab. What's the best way to find out if all relations are OK?

that would be the problems tab.. IF you don't have any errors there then there are no invalid relations

Without really profiling it it is hard to see what it does, but we could do a bit of simple profiling

Open the admin pages in the browser of the developer
Then activate the solution
and dump the stack (copy/ paste it)
and dump it a few more times every 10 seconds or so until it is done

then you have maybe have +/-5 stackdumps, you can zip those and send it over, then we can see what it does
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby xtsr » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:56 pm

I dumped the stack about every minute and have 15 files, which are attached.

When I activate the solution with Developer already open, the activation only takes a few seconds. Also if I start Developer with another solution active it takes less time for Developer to start - also more than I think it should, but it's less that 15 minutes... I just noticed in a first check that the message on the start screen says "loading database column information from resources project" for a long time.

Thanks a lot!

Reto
Attachments
stacks.zip
stacks
(56.98 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
xtsr

Postby jcompagner » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:23 pm

how big is your database? How many tables and columns?

because everything is waiting for mysql to load in the table information.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby xtsr » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:16 pm

Would a solution that does not use my MySQL db be affected as well? I tested the demo solution svyCore and it also took almost 9 minutes to load. I attached the stack. Activating my solution after opening with svyCore first takes about 2 seconds.

The database is rather small, ca. 100 MB, 41 tables, between 2 and 47 columns, probably no more than 10 columns on average.
Attachments
stacks_svyCore.zip
(39.23 KiB) Downloaded 253 times
xtsr

Postby jcompagner » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:06 am

its not what the solution uses, it is the initialization of all the server/tables that you have enabled in your workspace
and it waits for that to finish.

It could be that if you switch to the latest 5.2.x release that this is much better, because there are some tweaks that it doesn't have to wait for everything.

edit:
don't you have other servers enabled? that has loads more table/columns?
It waits really for all servers to complete

It waits in the query that does this: "select pkcolukmn from table where 1=0"
And it does that for all rowident columns of all your tables you have in your resource project.

Can you try that query in an sql tool? It should be instant..
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby xtsr » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:48 pm

The following DB Servers were active before: bug_db, example_data, pdf_forms, repository_server, udm, user_data, log_server (on MySQL) and my MySQL db. I believe the first 6 were all created when installing Servoy. I disabled all of them except the repository_server and the two MySQL servers log_server and my MySQL db. Still the same problem.

I'll gladly do the upgrade to 5.2. Could you point me in the right direction to be able to have 4.1 and 5.2 running at the same time (forum and/or documentation) on a different port? I've searched the forum, Servoy Magazine and the documentation, but did not find anything that makes me confident about installing 5.2 just yet. I've tried it a long time ago with 2.x and 4 (i think) and it messed up my repository and I ended up making a clean install on 4 and losing the 2.x version :(

It may be a good idea to install to do an upgrade of everything including moving to MySQL 5.5...

Thanks for your answers!
Reto
xtsr

Postby jcompagner » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:17 pm

What ports are you talking about? for the database? You should have then 2 separate repository databases. Are those mysql? or sybase? if sybase then you need alter the sybase.config file (in the sybase_db folder)
and besides you need to change the http port of tomcat (server.xml in server/conf) and the rmi port on the admin pages.

But it is really your mysql server then that is so slow.. I don't know why that is you should try to investigate that, the query is really simple and should return instantly
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby xtsr » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:37 pm

I use the standard sybase repository database. I have something that I have to finish and release to production first, then I'll do the upgrade.

Is there a best practice for the ports for my second config? Currently I use 2638 for sybase, 8080 for the server and 1099 for the RMI. How about naming the databases? I remember that I read in the forum that the repository db can be named repository_server_1, repository_server_2, etc. is that just to avoid confusion or could it pose a problem if they are all named the same (my assumption is that there will be different sybase instances running with the different ports - as you can probably tell I'm far from being an expert DBA :( )? Furthermore, I assume that I should do a clean import of the solution with a different name and create a separate workspace.

As to my original problem. I queried all MySQL tables with the query you pointed out. A union over all tables came back within a fraction of a second. Also I never noticed that the DB was slow at all, I'm doing quite a lot of data analysis on the main database. Well, probably I have to just live with it for now and hope that everything works out fine again after the upgrades...

Thanks!
xtsr

Postby xtsr » Sun May 22, 2011 10:39 am

I did the upgrade to 5.2.7 und indeed the Developer starts much faster. However, there still seems to be a problem. Now I see that the building of the workspace takes several minutes. The percentage almost immediately goes to 49% after opening Developer and then gets stuck (see screenshot). "Output" is a module that is included in my solution. I activated "Output", rebuilt the project, but that didn't help. I also deleted the module and re-imported, still not better.
When "Output" is activated and I start Developer, it opens in seconds. When I then switch to the main solution (no restart, just activate it), it gets stuck at 49% again, invoking the Servoy Project Builder. There are no problems in the "Problems" tab for the module "Output".

Thanks for ideas!
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-05-20 at 14.14.06.png
Invoking Project Builder
Screen shot 2011-05-20 at 14.14.06.png (28.7 KiB) Viewed 7399 times
xtsr

Postby jcompagner » Sun May 22, 2011 10:48 am

If something is stuck like that we need a stackdump, pictures of a screen are most of the time not useful
jcompagner

Postby xtsr » Sun May 22, 2011 11:18 am

I understand. Stack dumps attached...
Attachments
stack dumps 20110522.zip
(47.17 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
xtsr

Postby jcompagner » Mon May 23, 2011 10:56 am

again it is the same story, it waits for your mysql database to complete.
How many tables does that database have? Because it is busy downloading all the table definitions. This process is enhanced in Servoy 6, so that it doesn't have to wait that long for the background table loader to load everything
So i guess in 6 this will go better.

But maybe you can check out why it takes that long.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Next

Return to Eclipse Environment