import breakpoints? Set all breakpoints?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

import breakpoints? Set all breakpoints?

Postby john.allen » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi

I'm wondering if there is a way to auto set all breakpoints for a form or 'globally'. Sometimes you'd just like to check some behavior that doesn't give an error but you are not sure why something is happening. In 3.5 and before you could simply turn the debugger on and any method that got triggered would run through the debugger. In 5.2 almost all the time you will want to set the debugger/breakpoints just for a particular function or two but occasionally it would be convenient that, if any function is called, it would run through the debugger. Is this possible without setting breakpoints for every function on a form? I guess you could set all the breakpoints for a form once, export those breakpoints, and then import them when needed. That seems though like a lot of effort if you are not sure you'll ever need it for a particular form. Any way to do this more automatically?

John
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Re: import breakpoints? Set all breakpoints?

Postby jcompagner » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:02 am

in the breakpoints view (of the debug perspective) you have a few icons in the toolbar of the view. Including: Global entry break and Global exit break..
Those will result in suspends at the moment a method is called.
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Postby Joas » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 pm

john.allen wrote:Sometimes you'd just like to check some behavior that doesn't give an error but you are not sure why something is happening.

I think in that occasion you can better use the profiler view, it will show you all the methods that are running after you clicked the start button.

The global entry break will break in every method which is really a lot in most cases.
Joas de Haan
Yield Software Development
Need help on your project? yieldsd.com
Joas
Site Admin

Postby john.allen » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks Johan and Joas!

Valuable pointers. So many little treasures in the Eclipse environment... I'm just always too busy or too intimidated to start clicking things and trying things out. I'm going to have to get a little more adventurous...
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Return to Eclipse Environment