How to use multiple Servoy solutions into 1 SVN branch?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

How to use multiple Servoy solutions into 1 SVN branch?

Postby martinh » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:13 pm

I have 2 Servoy solutions en those 2 servoy solutions have each 1 private module and 1 common module

So,

S1 uses M1 and M3
S2 uses M2 and M3

I must make a change, where changes must be made into S1, M2 and M3
I have created a branch and after switch to this branch, I was able to make changes into S2, M2 and M3
But I also have to make a change into S1 and this solution says me that it is using the trunk (because I switched originally the S2 solution to the branch)

I would like the changes into S1 also be a part of the branch I created, but this doesn't work when I try to switch to the branch

I get messages, like:

switch <url>/branches/0009/branches/0009/globis_purchase_methods D:/servoy_workspace_52/globis_purchase_methods -r 275 --force
Filesystem has no item
svn: '/svn/GlobisOnline/!svn/rvr/275/branches/0009/branches/0009/globis_purchase_methods' path not found

Do you the the double branches/0009/branches/0009. Maybe the origin of the problem?

In this example my module globis_purchase_methods is equal to M3 in the sample.

It looks because M3 is already in the branch (and changed), that I can't make related changes into S1.

Is there a work-around for that?
Because it happens often that for 1 branch, I need to change multiple Servoy solutions.
Maybe there is some setting I have to set, when switching to the branch.

When I created the branch, I created a branch based on my trunk, so all solutions (S1, S2, M2, M3) are visible in the SVN repositories explorer.

Any suggestions?
Martin
------------------------------------------------
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
Java version 1.6 update 31
Database SQL Server 2008 R2
martinh

Re: How to use multiple Servoy solutions into 1 SVN branch?

Postby Andrei Costescu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:21 am

What SVN plugin do you use?
If I understand correctly, you created a new branch (that contains all 4 solutions) but switched to it in your workspace only for S2, M2 and M3. So S1 remains on trunk.
Now you also want to switch S1 to that branch so you work with all 4 solutions on the same branch.

How did you switch the 3 solutions? How did you try to switch S1 afterwards? (where did you right-click sol. ex.-navigator-project explorer?, what paths did you choose)
The doubled path does not look good to me.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby martinh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:45 am

Hi Andrei,

Andrei Costescu wrote:What SVN plugin do you use?

I use Subsclipse 1.8

Andrei Costescu wrote:If I understand correctly, you created a new branch (that contains all 4 solutions) but switched to it in your workspace only for S2, M2 and M3. So S1 remains on trunk.

That is correct

Andrei Costescu wrote:Now you also want to switch S1 to that branch so you work with all 4 solutions on the same branch.

That is in fact what I want yes

Andrei Costescu wrote:How did you switch the 3 solutions? How did you try to switch S1 afterwards? (where did you right-click sol. ex.-navigator-project explorer?, what paths did you choose)

I switch between solution using the Servoy 'Activate solution'
Martin
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
martinh

Postby david » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:02 am

Why not use separate workspaces instead of multiple branches? Seems more flexible.

Our multi project setup.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby Andrei Costescu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:21 am

I switch between solution using the Servoy 'Activate solution'

No I meant the SVN switch (Team->Switch to another...). Do you do it from solution explorer active solution node or from other views like Navigator/Project Explorer?

If you do it from Solution Explorer active solution node, it will prompt you to switch active solution with all modules and resources project (if those are shared with SVN as well).
So as you only need to switch S1,it is strange to switch the already switched ones again. Probably because it prompts you to switch all projects, the problem with path appears.
It might work anyway, but the "toURL" must be the root of the branch you switch to... so must end with "branches/0009".

Anyway, you should select the solution S1 from "All solutions" node rather then from active solution node. This will select only S1 for branch switch and there you can use the full URL to the project on the new branch.

I also have a separate workspace for each branch as david suggested. It's cleaner and no need to keep switching branches.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby martinh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:58 am

Andrei Costescu wrote:No I meant the SVN switch (Team->Switch to another...). Do you do it from solution explorer active solution node or from other views like Navigator/Project Explorer?

Yes I use SVN switch (Team->Switch to another...) from the solution explorer

If you do it from Solution Explorer active solution node, it will prompt you to switch active solution with all modules and resources project (if those are shared with SVN as well).
So as you only need to switch S1,it is strange to switch the already switched ones again. Probably because it prompts you to switch all projects, the problem with path appears.
It might work anyway, but the "toURL" must be the root of the branch you switch to... so must end with "branches/0009".

As far as I can see I do it like you describe

Anyway, you should select the solution S1 from "All solutions" node rather then from active solution node. This will select only S1 for branch switch and there you can use the full URL to the project on the new branch.

When I select S1 from "All solutions" it automatically selects the trunk, while the modules (or some modules, those which were switched earlier) are linked to the branch.

I also have a separate workspace for each branch as david suggested. It's cleaner and no need to keep switching branches.

Yes, maybe that this is possible, but not so evident. First my workspace is quite large. Second, lot of changes are made because I found those changes after a search. So an unwanted change to the trunk is easy made
Martin
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
martinh

Postby Andrei Costescu » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:04 pm

martinh wrote:When I select S1 from "All solutions" it automatically selects the trunk, while the modules (or some modules, those which were switched earlier) are linked to the branch.

Did you try doing SVN switch by selecting All solutions -> S1 right click Team -> Switch... and choosing the switchTo URL as "(...)branches/0009/S1"?
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby martinh » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Hi Andrei,

Now I did something else compared to what I did before.

Like you suggested I first changed to the branch into "All solutions" and next I made it my active solution.

I did it the other way.
First I made it my active solution and next I changed it to the branch.
And then I got lot of errors.

Looks like it has been solved like this.

Thanks for your help!

Martin
Martin
Servoy Developer
Version 5.2.10/5.2.13
martinh

Return to Eclipse Environment