The Semi_Rookie Rides again - Subclipse, 2nd PC

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

The Semi_Rookie Rides again - Subclipse, 2nd PC

Postby RonG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:30 am

Hi all, and good day.

I'm using the Subclipse plug-in along with Unfuddle to back up my project work. I'll admit I haven't spent much time learning about it, and mostly just sync with the repository most days.

Today, I decided to set up a laptop with what I hope will be a duplicate of my workstation Servoy environment. But, something has gone amiss along the way, and I was hoping to get a 2nd set of eyes to take a look at what I did. So, here are the steps I followed to create the 2nd instance of Servoy and my database and project work......

1. Backed up my Postgres database.
2. Installed the separate postgres engine from, well, Postgres, rather than using the built-in one..
3. Created the blank database for my application.
4. Did a restore from my backup. That seemed to work ok.

5. Installed Servoy.
6. Connected Servoy to Postgres. That seemed to work because in Servoy I can see the database, and the tables. I get the "columns" tab when I show the tables in design view.
7. I installed subclipse
8. I get into SVN Repository view and add the unfuddle connection.

Now, things get a little dicey.

9. I browse in Repository view, and can see the "trunk" .
10. I highlight "trunk", right click and select "Checkout..."
I get a window flashing up that says it's getting remote project info.
11. Now I have a form that asks if I want to.....
- Check out as a project configured using the New Project Wizard, or
- check out as a project in the workspace. I select this one.
12. The Project Name says "trunk", and has a the middle section checked for "Check out HEAD revision", and I click Next.
13. Now, I have a form that has, as checked, "Use default workspace location" and the location as C:/Users/User/servoy_workspace, and I click on Finish.
14. Now I have a progress form that says "checking out trunk". I can see all the forms and everything flashing by. The form closes and I'm back to the SVN Repository view. According the Subclipse user guide, I should be done.
15. I go back to design view. I check the database, and still have no extra tabs, which I think means the resource data isn't there, and there's nothing under solutions, either. So, where did it all go, I wonder?

Now, I've tried several different combinations of this, and in some cases, I can get to the point that I have a resources file, and the extra tabs on the tables, but still no forms, etc. I can see that at some point along the way, the data did get brought down, because I can see, in the workspace, the solution, and the folder seems to have everything in it, but it's not showing up in the developer.

I'm going to blow away the Servoy installation and try it again from scratch, but I wanted to see if you could see something I'm missin. I could probably copy over the workspace from the other pc, but this should be able to work.

As always, thanks for any guidance you might be able to provide.

Have a good day.

Ron
Ron Gafron
Aspen Ridge Arts/WorkingArtist software
RonG

Re: The Semi_Rookie Rides again - Subclipse, 2nd PC

Postby jdbruijn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:53 am

I see one thing that I do differently:
I don't checkout the trunk but each individual folder in the trunk. Each folder should be a solution or module from the workspace on your other pc. Also there should be a folder which contains the local resources.
Jos de Bruijn
Focus Feedback BV
Servoy Certified Developer
jdbruijn

Re: The Semi_Rookie Rides again - Subclipse, 2nd PC

Postby RonG » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi Jos,

Thanks so much for your response.

What you mention was exactly the problem. I found that out some time after I posted my question. And what you say was exactly the solution, that is, go to the individual folders within the trunk and check them out individually.

Funny how well things can work with you do things correctly! :-)

Thanks again and have a good day.

Ron
Ron Gafron
Aspen Ridge Arts/WorkingArtist software
RonG

Return to Eclipse Environment