Move "New" Solution from Workspace to Server ?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Move "New" Solution from Workspace to Server ?

Postby gdurniak » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:01 am

I just imported a 3.1 solution into 6.1 Developer

How do I get it into the Server Repository ?

I am working alone. This is not a Team environment

The "Beginners Guide" says to right click in Developer, and "share", but I get "Cannot access Team Repository"

On the server, turning Team Provider on and off makes no difference

My Server Repository is running in Sybase 9 on port 2638 ( the original 3.1 Repository was upgraded, and the solution was deleted )

Can I "share" as a single user, or do I have to export / import each time ?

greg
File Shoppe
gdurniak

Re: Move "New" Solution from Workspace to Server ?

Postby ROCLASI » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:57 am

Hi Greg,

Up to Servoy 3.5 and before you could develop your solution on live servers with Developer. It was however frowned upon as one should have always developed on a local developer version, exported the solution and then imported it back into a test/deployment server.

Since 4.0 Servoy Developer stopped using the repository database that Servoy Server used. At least not in the in the way it was used with Servoy Developer 3.5.x and below.
Instead Developer stores all it source on the file-system and calles it a 'work space'. Each object (form, value list, relationship, etc) is now stored in a separate file.

Now it is all stored in physical files you can use some sort of Revision Control like CVS, SVN, GIT, etc. to keep track of any changes.
Servoy Server however hasn't changed the way it worked. It still works with a repository database where all the source of the solutions lives.
Servoy added a feature that allowes for Developer to use the Servoy Server to use the repository database as a Revision Control system. Sort of.
I am saying 'Sort of' because it isn't acting the same way as CVS, SVN and GIT does. With a regular (CVS/SVN/GIT) revision control system each commit to the repository is tracked as a revision. Not so with Servoy's Servoy Server team server implementation. Here each commit will essentially overwrite the previous commit and makes it impossible to roll back to a previous commit like you can with CVS/SVN/GIT/etc.
Unless you create a new release (like you did in the 3.5 and earlier versions) before you do a commit.
Of course each IMPORT into the servoy repository (using the Servoy-admin pages) does create a new release and allows for a roll-back.
Again, you can use the deployment server as a TEAM server but it's not recommened and in fact frowned upon. Sure you can do it BUT a team server is NOT a server where you should run clients on, testing or otherwise. The better model would be Developer (with SVN or otherwise), Test server, Production Server.

So in short the way to go is to export your solution from developer and import it into your test- or production server.

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby gdurniak » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:33 am

In the past I would make a quick fix with Developer, then flush

Now it's an export / import. Seems a bit clumsy

The "share" feature looked promising, but I guess not

greg

> So in short the way to go is to export your solution from from developer and import it into your test- or production server
Last edited by gdurniak on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
File Shoppe
gdurniak

Postby ROCLASI » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:50 am

Hi Greg,

gdurniak wrote:In the past I would make a quick fix with Developer, then flush

While possible it was never recommended to work this way.

gdurniak wrote:The "share" feature looked promising, but I guess not

Using Servoy's teamserver as a deployment server will constitute the same thing as your previous way of working. Again, possible but not recommended.

As for your issue for not being able to connect to the TeamServer you might want to check out the followin thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11054 .

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Postby gdurniak » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 pm

I did see that thread, but missed the Port number

So I need to use the Server Port 1099, not the Sybase Port 2638. Thanks. It almost works

Now when I "share" or "commit" I get "Could not put all changes for Resources due to conflicts"

Is there a "commit" log, to see the conflicts ?

greg

> As for your issue for not being able to connect to the TeamServer you might want to check out the followin thread
Last edited by gdurniak on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
File Shoppe
gdurniak

Postby gdurniak » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:05 pm

I cleared up the conflicts, and have decided to use the Team Server feature to commit my changes. This is much faster

Note: In the Server Admin Settings, I also had to set Allow Client Repository Access to "True"

greg
File Shoppe
gdurniak

Return to Eclipse Environment