How do I add miscellaneous files to project

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

How do I add miscellaneous files to project

Postby steve1376656734 » Sat May 10, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi,

I have a number of plain text files and word documents that I use as templates within my solution. I would like to add these to my Servoy project so that I can include them in my SVN repository and have them versioned and all the other good things that come with keeping things under source control. How can I add these files (which have .txt, .html and .dot file extensions) to my project within Servoy/Eclipse and if I can add them will it have any negative effects when I export my solution?

Thanks

Steve
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Re: How do I add miscellaneous files to project

Postby jasantana » Sun May 11, 2014 11:16 am

Hi Steve.
What I use to do is have a module and use its media folder to store the files.
If you are using Servoy 7 you can even create subfolders inside the media folder.
I hope this helps
Best regards,
Juan Antonio Santana Medina
jasantana@nephos-solutions.co.uk
Servoy MVP 2015
Servoy 6.x - Servoy 7.x - Servoy 8.x - MySQL - PostgreSQL - Visual Foxpro 9
jasantana

Postby mboegem » Sun May 11, 2014 9:08 pm

jasantana wrote:What I use to do is have a module and use its media folder to store the files.
If you are using Servoy 7 you can even create subfolders inside the media folder.

Make sure you don't include this module when you export your solution.
When you will do that, you will also import these files when starting clients after deployment...
Last edited by mboegem on Mon May 12, 2014 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby jasantana » Mon May 12, 2014 9:42 am

mboegem wrote:Make sure you don't include this module when you export your solution.
When you will do that, you will also import these files when starting clients after deployment deployment...

Sorry, I forgot to mention
Best regards,
Juan Antonio Santana Medina
jasantana@nephos-solutions.co.uk
Servoy MVP 2015
Servoy 6.x - Servoy 7.x - Servoy 8.x - MySQL - PostgreSQL - Visual Foxpro 9
jasantana

Postby deezzub » Mon May 12, 2014 10:43 am

steve1376656734 wrote:I have a number of plain text files and word documents that I use as templates within my solution. I would like to add these to my Servoy project so that I can include them in my SVN repository and have them versioned and all the other good things that come with keeping things under source control. How can I add these files (which have .txt, .html and .dot file extensions) to my project within Servoy/Eclipse and if I can add them will it have any negative effects when I export my solution?

You can use the Servoy (Eclipse) "Project Explorer" or "Navigator" (Window --> Show View --> General) to add files (New --> Other --> General --> File). There you can also add the files to version control (Git, SVN etc.). You can also use tools like file explorers and TortoiseGit or TortoiseSVN to add your files to the version control. Also you can use the Git and SVN command line tools to add the files to your project.
deezzub

Postby steve1376656734 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks all for your replies - I have opted for deezzub's solution and it is working well so far - if I find any 'gotchas' I'll post back here.
Steve
SAN Developer
There are 10 types of people in the world - those that understand binary and those that don't
steve1376656734

Return to Eclipse Environment