Developer issues

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Developer issues

Postby jdbruijn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:48 pm

I've created 2 issues in support related to the Servoy Developer, maybe some of you would like to vote for it if you think they are useful.

Issue 1
Add option to set the Form navigator to a different value as the current default navigator (I always have to go back to my form to change this setting to -none-)
https://support.servoy.com/browse/SVY-7648

Issue 2
Sorting of 'All solutions'. My workspace contains so many solutions/modules that when switching I have to look very closely to find the correct solution. Maybe add the option to sort by solution type, or the option to mark a solution as favorite and include it at the top of the solutions list.
https://support.servoy.com/browse/SVY-7649
Jos de Bruijn
Focus Feedback BV
Servoy Certified Developer
jdbruijn

Re: Developer issues

Postby mboegem » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:02 am

Hi Jos,

the solution to issue 1 is already there:
- open preferences
- select 'servoy'
- in the form properties area you'll find a checkbox: 'Set default navigator on new forms'

If you uncheck this, your forms will be created with the navigator set to 'none'
Marc Boegem
Solutiative / JBS Group, Partner
• Servoy Certified Developer
• Servoy Valued Professional
• Freelance Developer

Partner of Tower - The most powerful Git client for Mac and Windows
mboegem

Postby david » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:39 pm

jdbruijn wrote:Issue 2
Sorting of 'All solutions'. My workspace contains so many solutions/modules that when switching I have to look very closely to find the correct solution. Maybe add the option to sort by solution type, or the option to mark a solution as favorite and include it at the top of the solutions list.
https://support.servoy.com/browse/SVY-7649

How are you organizing 100's of forms? Naming conventions:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 9.33.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 9.33.41 AM.png (218.68 KiB) Viewed 6684 times

Do the same thing for modules:

Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 9.33.59 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-12-06 at 9.33.59 AM.png (143.58 KiB) Viewed 6684 times

We'd probably setup our naming conventions a bit differently today but these were chosen circa 2005 and haven't failed us the whole time.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Postby jdbruijn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:01 am

mboegem wrote:Hi Jos,

the solution to issue 1 is already there:
- open preferences
- select 'servoy'
- in the form properties area you'll find a checkbox: 'Set default navigator on new forms'

If you uncheck this, your forms will be created with the navigator set to 'none'

Thanks for this tip! I wish I had know this 3 years ago!!
BTW when searching for navigator in the preferences, this setting does not popup so I will modify my case.
Jos de Bruijn
Focus Feedback BV
jdbruijn

Postby jdbruijn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 am

david wrote:How are you organizing 100's of forms? Naming conventions:

Do the same thing for modules:

We'd probably setup our naming conventions a bit differently today but these were chosen circa 2005 and haven't failed us the whole time.

I can understand that you can achieve much with naming conventions. In your example it seems that modules start with an underscore which probably means that they are shown first in the 'All solutions' folder? What I am suggesting is a way to show the important solutions first (in my case I almost never directly open a module, but always a Normal or Webclient solution). And because the names of the solution may vary a lot, and I definitely don't want all my main solutions to start with a special char like underscore, I am looking for something to make this easier.
So I think that either having control over the sorting of the solutions by solution-type or by favorites would be a nice and useful feature.
But then again, maybe I am the only one that is missing this as a feature. :mrgreen:
Jos de Bruijn
Focus Feedback BV
jdbruijn

Postby david » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:02 pm

Underscores are for framework solutions that don't change a lot (and are the same across many client applications). Client solutions for specific workflow development drop to the bottom of the list because of no underscores. We typically use different workspaces for different client applications except sometimes in the case of websites. So in the end, we're always heading to the bottom of the list to open something to develop in. And there's usually only a few options to choose from.
David Workman, Kabootit

Everything you need to build great apps with Servoy
david

Return to Eclipse Environment