Eclipse Screen Resolution

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Eclipse Screen Resolution

Postby kwpsd » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:12 am

We have new Windows 10 computers with 4K UHD screen resolution (3840 x 2160, 282 PPI), and Servoy eclipse renders extremely small (e.g. the smart client 'Run' icon is about 1/16" tall) to the point of being unreadable/unusable. Windows 10 allows you to set a zoom factor (currently, 225%) that allows icons and text to be readable, but this has no effect on Eclipse (or Java run-time, for that matter). Is there a setting in Eclipse or JRE to change how it is rendered on high-resolution screens (it's only a matter of time before our customers move to 4K UHD displays)?

Any suggestions appreciated!
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Re: Eclipse Screen Resolution

Postby Andrei Costescu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:55 am

There are at least two bug (main) reports (+ duplicates) related to this on eclipse's bug tracker.
One of them seems to be fixed for the next (development) version of Eclipse and one will be but is still not fixed.

One workaround out there is to run the .exe in Windows XP compatibility mode. But you can only do that with 32-bit executables.

So what you can try to do (I don't have a hires display to try it out) is install Servoy 32-bit, then change servoy.exe properties to run in Windows XP compatibility and see how that looks.
What I did to install the 32 bit version using the jar file installer is change java.exe compatibility to Windows XP in my "c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_xx\bin\java.exe" and use that from command-line to start the installer
Code: Select all
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_xx\bin\java.exe" -jar servoy_installer.3024.jar

Something similar might work with the exe installer if you can set it to compatibility mode XP. But maybe you won't be able to.
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby Andrei Costescu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:21 am

You can also try the following manifest approach (on servoy.exe not eclipse.exe of course :) ) https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug. ... 421383#c60
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby kwpsd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:46 am

You can also try the following manifest approach (on servoy.exe not eclipse.exe of course :) ) https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug. ... 421383#c60

Thank you for the link, Andrei. The Registry change and manifest file (servoy.exe.manifest, not eclipse.exe.manifest) work-around fixed the problem for Servoy developer. This method is, by far, easier to do than loading 32-bit versions and setting XP compatability mode.

Why not consider including the manifest file in the Servoy distribution for others to use?
Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Postby Andrei Costescu » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:51 am

I think it's of no use without the registry change.
And it is a workaround; it should work directly.

Anyway I think it would be better to have a case for this that can be used either to do something now in the installer, or at least when the Eclipse fixes are ready to be used.

Will you create a case (if you do add a link to this forum thread as well)?
Andrei Costescu
Servoy
Andrei Costescu

Postby kwpsd » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:22 pm

Kim W. Premuda
San Diego, CA USA
kwpsd

Return to Eclipse Environment