Running Servoy on a VMware Workstation - Tips/Tricks?

Questions and answers regarding the use of eclipse environment as seen in Servoy Developer

Running Servoy on a VMware Workstation - Tips/Tricks?

Postby rome » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:23 pm

Our developers use Servoy (8.1.1 RC) on VMware workstations (Win7 Ultimate) and on occasion, sometimes a bit more frequently than we'd like, the IDE becomes unresponsive. We've since learned to tweak the startup params to increase the heap size available to Eclipse, however, we still have issues with the IDE becoming unresponsive. This behavior is exhibited across multiple virtualized workstations and I was wondering if anyone is aware of any other tips/tricks related to Eclipse configuration (running in a virtualized env) that could benefit our developers. Thanks!
rome

Re: Running Servoy on a VMware Workstation - Tips/Tricks?

Postby Bernd.N » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Is there a specific reason to use VMware workstations also for development tasks?
I thought they are especially for enduser deployment.
I guess that an application development framework like Servoy that is running on Java is not really ment to work flawless on VMware machines for development tasks.
Please correct me in case I am wrong.
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Servoy 7.4.9 SC postgreSQL 9.4.11 Windows 10 Pro
Bernd.N

Postby Bernd.N » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:34 pm

rome wrote:We've since learned to tweak the startup params to increase the heap size available to Eclipse, however, we still have issues with the IDE becoming unresponsive.!

How did you do this? Did you increase the -Xmx parameter in the servoy.ini file? Which value do you use there?
Bernd Korthaus
LinkedIn
Servoy 7.4.9 SC postgreSQL 9.4.11 Windows 10 Pro
Bernd.N

Postby jcompagner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:54 pm

if it becomes unresponsive can you go to the admin page (of the developer) in the browser and dump the stack?
There we can then see the actual memory usage and what it is currently really doing
Johan Compagner
Servoy
jcompagner

Return to Eclipse Environment