Oracle 7.3.4.5

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

Oracle 7.3.4.5

Postby jtf » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:35 pm

Will Servoy work with Oracle 7.3.4 using the Oracle jdbc817 driver, or do I need an Oracle 7 jdbc driver?

Thanks for your help
jtf

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:21 pm

I think it will work with the oracle 817 driver, I have used the oracle 8.1.7 driver earlier to connect to 7, I don't remember the exact version of 7 I was connecting to though. The best thing to do is try, please let us know if it works or not.
Thanks.
Jan Aleman

Postby jtf » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:42 pm

Actually, I have sucessfully connected and read the schema into Servoy with the 817 drivers. But it has been marginally and incrementally successful (ie, it got a little better with each build)

Currently, if I build a simple form displaying two columns from a small table in the Oracle database (like 'CUSTOMERS'), when I open the form, I get the error: Could not retrieve form data. Details>> Cannot work without primaryKey on table customer

I don't think any tables in the database have any columns designated as 'Primary Keys', though there are hundreds of indexes and compound indexes built.

I also noticed that the table list in the select data providers does not list any views or packages. Seems to me that I ought to be able to create a form based on a predefined view in the database....

I also have a request concerning the data providers dialog: I use Golden32 for SQL querry writing and testing. In it's column picker, I can sort the lsit by column number (creation order), column name, data type, length or index type. It's usually the case with this database that the columns of interest are at the top of the list when sorted by column number. I also like sorting by type and length, becasue we store dates as varchar(10) and it groups all the date columns together.

Thanks again. If you want me to try anything, just let me know.

John
jtf

Return to SQL Databases