Import CSV to Firebird

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

Import CSV to Firebird

Postby Westy » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:15 am

I have a csv file that I want to import to a Firebird database. The file contains about 100,000 records, so I figured I would try the IB Import utility that is available from EMS.

The IB Import interface looks pretty simple. You can check off the import "Local" instead of "Remote" option, and then select the destination database from a Open file dialog. Then you enter the Login and Password. I have tried using "SYSDBA" as the Login and "masterkey" as the Password, however, when I proceed to hit their "Next" button on the import wizard I keep getting a ISC error code 335544375. I get the same error message regardless of what database I try to use.

Does anyone know what that error message means or what I might be doing wrong? I can't get beyond step number 1. Very frustrating.
Westy

Postby Jan Aleman » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:47 pm

Strange, the error code indicates the database is unavailable. Have you tried using IB Manager? it also contains import and I've used it succesfully. I did register my database in IB Manager before starting so I know for sure the connections work OK.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Westy » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:40 pm

Does IB Manager/Import require that the database file be served by the Firebird Server or do they open unserved files directly? Or can they operate either way?
Westy

Postby Jan Aleman » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:44 pm

As far as my experience goes it doesn't really matter. It could be that if you choose for Local that it requires to be the only process accessing it. The best is to try.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Westy » Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:06 pm

I gave up on IB Import. Perhaps it requires a more recent version of Firebird. I don't know.

Next I tried IB Manager Lite. Sure enough I was able to get into the database the very first try! However, the Lite version does not appear to have an import option (even though its Help file says that it does - the import icon they refer to does not exist).

So I just took the plung and ordered IB Manager Professional.
Westy

Return to SQL Databases