Can't set primary key in data providers

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

Can't set primary key in data providers

Postby saltheart » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:51 am

The informix db server that I'm connected to has hundreds of tables. These tables are showing up in data providers, but none of them (except for one exception that I've been able to find) have the Primary Key box checked. How does a field/column get specified as the primary key? And how do I handle tables that use a combination of fields to make up the primary key?
Charles Lewis
Director of Information Services
Southwestern Adventist University
Keene, TX 76059
saltheart

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:02 pm

Servoy asks the database for primary keys, it depends on your backend database and JDBC driver what it returns, in general that would be what has actually been defined as primary key. You can have multiple columns in a primary key.

We are planning to support 'manual' definition of primary keys in a future version so you can still use servoy even if your dba didn't create the backend tables the right way :D
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby saltheart » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:00 pm

Must be a problem with the JDBC driver then, because the primary keys do exist. I'm not sure how else the tables could have been created. Maybe there is an updated driver that I can download.

I just accepted a management position at the university (Dir of IS). I have to get the existing system working first, but I can tell you that I will be seriously considering migrating at least some modules to Servoy at some point in the not too distant future, especially as Servoy continues to add some of the functionality that I've been waiting for. Of course, I will have to get the necessary connectivity to the Informix db server. Or maybe another solution would be to see if I can set up a DB2 server and figure out how to build some kind of conduit between the two databases.
Charles Lewis
Director of Information Services
Southwestern Adventist University
Keene, TX 76059
saltheart

Return to SQL Databases