MySQL Woes

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

MySQL Woes

Postby Thunder » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:15 am

Hi All

Hope someone can help...

I successfully created a solution on a MySQL back end which was working perfectly. For a variety of reasons I reinstalled my OS X system (archive and install, which keeps user accounts, network etc. intact). /Library is one of the directories which has been replaced by a new version. In it is the mysql directory which in turn held and holds my tables for the servoy solution. I have managed successfully to reinstall MySQL, and reinstate the tables - which I can now access via mysql in the terminal. My reinstallation of Servoy however has lost track of the Riverside (name of the solution) solution. Although I have kept every previous installation of Servoy (nothing has been deleted) I am unable to find where Servoy has stashed the files containing this solution. The reinstallation of the system has required a reinstallation of Servoy (I don't fully know why - as I though everything - Repository included - was part of the Servoy directory. When I fired it up however, the Repository was gone and had to be re set up. Additionally I am unable to import a different solution which I was working on (using Firebird) as I now get the error: "Import with XML version 3 requires the import repository version is 8-15. Invalid import version." At a single stroke I seem to have managed to wipe all the work I have done in servoy over the past several months. I would be grateful if anyone can point to where my .servoy files might exist for a database which uses a MySQL back end, and how I might reimport my FirebirdSQL solution (interestingly an alternative version of the CRM doesn't import for the same reason.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Bevil Templeton-Smith
Thunder

Postby Jan Aleman » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:26 pm

Could you be a bit more specific about the issue?

In which database did you store the repository?

I am unable to find where Servoy has stashed the files containing this solution.

Servoy does not store anything about your solution. Your solution is stored in the repository database. It just depends on what you defined as repository server to find where your data is gone.

The reinstallation of the system has required a reinstallation of Servoy (I don't fully know why - as I though everything - Repository included - was part of the Servoy directory

If you delete /Library you delete Firebird. So you will need to re-install Firebird only (if you reinstall Servoy firebird gets installed as well)

I am guessing here that you have used Firebird as repository server and mysql for your data, fastest way to recovery:
1. Make sure Firebird is installed, that is the case if you reinstalled Servoy and rebooted
2. restore your mysql server database, I DO hope you backed it up before performing a reinstall of your system
3. Go to the latest servoy installation that your solution worked properly on
4. launch servoy, check if the databaseconnection pointing to your recovered mysql is correct
5. open solution

If you don't have a mysql backup then you can try to re-import an exported version of your solution. If you do so make sure to import it in the same version of servoy as you did the export on or you will get the error you described earlier.

Hot development tip:
Do all your development solely on Firebird, in that case all you need to backup is your entire servoy folder and you will never loose a thing. If you really want to use MySQL then make sure it is backed up regularly!

If all this doesnt help please email the xml export of your solution to support@servoy.com including the database SERVOY.GDB from your database directory of the Servoy directory that worked properly before the issues arose.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby Thunder » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:54 pm

Recovered it....

All that is left missing are the forms (2 of them) and about 4 calculations. I think I have sorted it.... Thankfully I imaged my PowerBooks disk a couple of days before this crisis. I would like to work my way back to a perfect solution (which I know exists) but simply don't have the time.

Thank you very much for your rapid response and clarification of the way I should do it (Edward even made a point of telling me that now was a good time to make a new release of my Riverside database after Servoy crashed a few days ago - I agreed with him but didn't do it. Had I done so, I would probably have lost even less. The perils of ignorance eh?)

Thanks again

Bevil[/quote]
Thunder

Return to SQL Databases