using Sybase ASA 9 on linux

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

using Sybase ASA 9 on linux

Postby bobcart » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:36 pm

I seem to have an unusual need and as a result am not finding much in the way of documentation. I want to use the free developer version of Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere on Linux and also run the servoy server on the same Redhat 9 box. This would allow me to do development on my PC laptop offline, then use the redhat box to show my work to clients. Here are my list of problems:
1) ASA comes with an older JRE, but I can't find instructions on ionstalling it anyway, I'm not sure it is needed... I installed 1.4.2 anyway.
2) I installed Servoy, but it doesn't allow automatic upgrades to work. It goes through the motions, but when I restart Servoy, it's the older version all over again.
3) I think the problem with 2 above is that the repository server isn't yet connected. Wish I could get it to work. It appears that there isn't a jdbc driver available. I found what should be the driver and put it into the servoy drivers directory, but I'm not sure how to call it. The sample database connection stuff in the Sybase preferences doesn't seem to help.

Any clues appreciated...
bobcart

Postby bobcart » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:30 pm

Well, I gave up, but did get close. I ran into problems with CLASSPATH definitions. The jconnect driver for ASA, (SQL Anywhere, Adaptive Server Anywhere, aka iAnywhere SQL Anywhere Server, etc. - I think all these are the same) seems to require the JRE installed with ASA. with hard coded references in the compiled class. I'm sure there is some way a java geek/linux geek could figure out all the referneces and make symlinks or something, but the maintenance would then be too complex for me. For those who come across this post hoping to find gold, my apologies. Anyway, here's a helpful link on jconnect: http://sybooks.sybase.com/onlinebooks/g ... t=928;nh=1

By the way, I decided against using Sybase in favor of Postgres due to the following:
1) Postgres has a strong user community with lots of free support
2) postgres is fast and full of the features I thinkI need
3) it is free for a developer and for deployment

The things I give up include the fancy windows tools for managing Sybase and strong commercial support if needed, albeit at a high cost.

Good luck!

Bob
bobcart

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:42 pm

Strange issues. We have multiple linux boxes running Servoy and iAnywhere and I even don't recognize the issues you mention. A plain install of SQL studio and everything worked (on Redhat and Java 1.4.2)

With RC12 iAnywhere is included in the installer so you don't even have to use the Sybase installer.

May of our internal systems run on Postgres (mainly for historical reasons, we already use it over 5 years) and I can tell you Postgres is a solid database but much, much slower then iAnywhere.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby bobcart » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:00 pm

Thanks, Jan. Where can I get the RC12 Linux installer?
bobcart

Postby Jan Aleman » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:08 pm

the rc12 installer is the same for Linux, Mac and windows. You can get it in the download section of the developer website.

It does look like we need to update our linux notes. I'll investigate that. Meanwhile this should work:
for installation:
java -jar servoy_installer.jar

to start Servoy:
first make sure you have an environment variable
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
pointing to the sybase_db directory, it needs to be able to load some libraries from it. Then start Servoy using:

java -jar servoy_developer.jar
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Postby bobcart » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:11 pm

Thanks, Jan. I think you found the issue. Silly me for reading the directions!
bobcart

Postby bobcart » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:25 pm

Thanks, Jan. It worked mostly on the first try. However, I got some jdbc errors while the automatic import of the crm example was running. The error were:

ASA Error -98: Authentication violation

I cancelled the automatic import and all seemed fine, but only the styles solution showed up. I next tried to manually import the CRM solution, and it failed again with the same error. However, I got some more insight inthe log. This time the same jdbc exception is followed by: "The server version of the column 'ordersid' of table 'orders' in server 'crm' has 'servoy seq' sequence type while the import version has 'db seq' sequence type."

Any clues?
bobcart

Return to SQL Databases