Create Database on sybase central

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

Create Database on sybase central

Postby ahmad » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:38 pm

Installed the Sybase central and I followed steps given in Servoy manual to connect the Servoy repository. All went fine and I was able to start all the servoy default dbs.

I followed the step by step procdures to create a new database but at the final step I got the following error:

Code: Select all
ASA Error -602: Cannot access file 'mksadb60.sql' -- No such file or directory
The database file 'C:\Program Files\Servoy\database\TEST.db' could not be created.

Did I miss something?

Qn: 2

+ I had a solution which used Firebird DB to store the data.

+ I exported this solution with the sample data.

+ I don't want to use the Firebird anymore and want to make use of Sybase

The way I'm thinking to do is:

+ Create a database exactly same as the DB name I created with FB
+ setup the server in preferences
+ import the exported the servoy solution

I hope this will create all the tables in my previous solution and the db created will match with my servoy solution

Please help me if I'm wrong

Thanks
Ahmad
Hong Kong
ahmad

Re: Create database on Sybase Central

Postby john.allen » Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:47 pm

Hi,

I haven't quite figured it out but I get the same message when I have run Servoy and Servoy has started the Sybase backend. After quitting Servoy there is still a process running on my Mac that it calls 'dbsrv9'. If I quit that process when I start up Sybase Central then there is no problem in creating a new database within Sybase Central, otherwise I get that same message and it fails. When I start up Sybase Central and 'connect' then there is a similar process called 'dbeng9'.

You can also tell that you will get a similar result if after launching Sybase Central and hitting 'connect', instead of just seeing 'servoy_repository.db' and its tables you also see the other servoy databases ('user_data', 'crm.db', etc.). On my Mac these then often have a little red 'x' on them presumably meaning that the database is not connected to. If you go ahead and connect to the database, the little red 'x' disappears. Then when you quit Sybase Central the server process (dbeng9 or dbsrv9 if started from Servoy) will also quit. When you then start up Sybase Central you will be able to create a new database and won't get that message. So somehow it has to do with setting up Servoy and/or Sybase correctly so that all databases are correctly opened and connected to when Servoy or Sybase Central is opened. And when they are both shut down, that the Sybase server (I presume) is also shut down completely. But I don't understand it well enough yet to set it up correctly - I have just worked out how to do a work around!

John
John Allen
Stanford University
john.allen

Postby DFehrenbach » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:02 am

Servoy Developer
Version R2 2.0 rc12-build 271
Java version 1.4.2_04-b05 (Windows 2000)

I have also installed SYBASE CENTRAL and created a database and one table.
I then went into servoy and created a new database conection to the Sybase database. All was well, when I loaded the solution from the Servoy Developer I was pleased to see my table show up.
I closed down Servoy then Sybase Central. I then added a databse entry to the sybase.config file. Later when I started Servoy again to load my new solution, I got an error message saying:
Can't set up form:
java.sql.SQLException: JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

If I then start Sybase Central and connect to the database, the solution can be loaded.
Do I need to start Sybase Central every time I want to use Servoy Developer? Should Servoy Developer open the Sybase database?
DFehrenbach

Postby DFehrenbach » Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:57 am

After further study:
I tried following the instructions in the Help File "Creating a database with Sybase Central"
When I press the Find button on the Databse tab of the Connect dialog the servoy_repository server is not found in the Find Servers dialog. The only server that shows is the ASADemo server, even though Servoy Developer is also open.
Any suggestions?
DFehrenbach

Postby DFehrenbach » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:02 pm

Servoy Developer
Version R2 2.0 rc13-build 272
Java version 1.4.2_04-b05 (Windows 2000)

I have decided to start over.
I have re-Installed Servoy (new RC 13)
I have removed the DB server connection to the previously created Sybase DB
I have removed the previously created Sybase DB
I have started Servoy
I have started Sybase Central
when I go to establish a connection in Sybase Central and press the Find.. button on the Database Tab of the Connect Dialog, it still refuses to find the Servoy_repository.
I am dead in the water here!
Can someone plese help?
DFehrenbach

Postby Jan Aleman » Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:44 pm

To connect to a database using Sybase central please only fill in the following three fields:

on the first tab
-username
-password
on the second tab (database) ONLY point to the database file using the browse button in the Database file field

that method always works.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Re: Create Database on sybase central

Postby Jan Aleman » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:19 pm

ahmad wrote:I followed the step by step procdures to create a new database but at the final step I got the following error:

Code: Select all
ASA Error -602: Cannot access file 'mksadb60.sql' -- No such file or directory
The database file 'C:\Program Files\Servoy\database\TEST.db' could not be created.

Did I miss something?

Did you do a full install of SQL Anywhere Studio? If you only install Sybase central it will miss the scripts to be able to create databases.
ahmad wrote:Qn: 2

+ I had a solution which used Firebird DB to store the data.

+ I exported this solution with the sample data.

+ I don't want to use the Firebird anymore and want to make use of Sybase

The way I'm thinking to do is:

+ Create a database exactly same as the DB name I created with FB
+ setup the server in preferences
+ import the exported the servoy solution

I hope this will create all the tables in my previous solution and the db created will match with my servoy solution

That will work. Make sure to use the same connection name or at least to delete the old connection name pointing to firebird.
Jan Aleman
Servoy
Jan Aleman

Return to SQL Databases