How to debug problems caused by database?

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

How to debug problems caused by database?

Postby deezzub » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:46 pm

How can I debug problems, that are caused by databases, if the problem only occurs on the application server and not in Developer? For example, problems like: "Search does not work on application server.

Is there a kind of checklist?
deezzub

Re: How to debug problems caused by database?

Postby ROCLASI » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:04 am

Hi Sebastian,

It seems the post you are referring to is in a section of the forum I don't have access to so I can't see what example you are referring to.
Having said that, if the error is caused 'by the database' (and therefor NOT by the Servoy Client, Application server, JDBC Driver) you need to look in the database log file. Which one that is depends on which database vendor you use.
If the issue a little higher up the stack then you could run a stack trace in the application server (see the servoy admin logging page to enable/disable this).

And as always, if you see different (DB related) results in Developer and Server check if you are using the same (or even better, latest) version of the JDBC driver for your brand of database on BOTH installs.
And is your development (Servoy) version the exact same version as your (Servoy) deployment server?

Hope this helps.
Robert Ivens
SAN Developer / Servoy Valued Professional / Servoy Certified Developer

ROCLASI Software Solutions / JBS Group, Partner
Mastodon: @roclasi
--
ServoyForge - Building Open Source Software.
PostgreSQL - The world's most advanced open source database.
ROCLASI
Servoy Expert

Re: How to debug problems caused by database?

Postby deezzub » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:49 am

ROCLASI wrote:It seems the post you are referring to is in a section of the forum I don't have access to so I can't see what example you are referring to. Having said that, if the error is caused 'by the database' (and therefor NOT by the Servoy Client, Application server, JDBC Driver) you need to look in the database log file. Which one that is depends on which database vendor you use. If the issue a little higher up the stack then you could run a stack trace in the application server (see the servoy admin logging page to enable/disable this).

Hi Robert, we are using the Servoy Framework and the Problem was, that the Framework search didn't work on our test application server, but it works in the Servoy Developer. I found the problem was caused by the svy_framework database that was used on the test server. I switched the test application server svy_framework database to the one we are using in Servoy Developer and then the search works. This is was really hard to debug, because I didn't found any useful informations in the test application server log.

ROCLASI wrote:And as always, if you see different (DB related) results in Developer and Server check if you are using the same (or even better, latest) version of the JDBC driver for your brand of database on BOTH installs.
And is your development (Servoy) version the exact same version as your (Servoy) deployment server?

Yes, the drivers are the same and also the servoy version.
deezzub

Return to SQL Databases