innoDB vs ISAM

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

innoDB vs ISAM

Postby david.pearce » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:15 am

Our DB is getting very large (total of 300G before Blobs).

We still use ISAM tables in mysql, but am increasingly hearing noises that we should move to InnoDB.

I dont think we have any fulltext tables.

Am I correct in thinking that even though we have not specifically coded for transactions in servoy, that the fact we have autosave swithced on (it is by default i think) and also use plenty of Database Saves, that simply switching a table to InnoDB everything should work seamlessly in servoy, unless there are any specific fields like dates which are being set badly (i.e 0000-00-00) which i understand will cause errors.

Is there anything else major that we need to consider, or is it just a question of testing the code with a new Dev DB where we change the engine to InnoDB?

Is this the right move and is there anything else or other pitfalls we should look out for?

David
david.pearce

Re: innoDB vs ISAM

Postby sbutler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:05 pm

InnoDB provides support for full transactional tables. MyISAM doesn't. However, MyISAM is faster.
You can switch without any need to change anything if you aren't using Database transactions (not servoy auto save).

In general, when I build MySQL databases, I use InnoDB for standard tables, and MyISAM for metadata / lookup tables. This provides transaction support where you need it, and speed for your metadat/lookup tables.
Scott Butler
iTech Professionals, Inc.
SAN Partner

Servoy Consulting & Development
Servoy University- Training Videos
Servoy Components- Plugins, Beans, and Web Components
Servoy Guy- Tips & Resources
ServoyForge- Open Source Components
sbutler
Servoy Expert

Return to SQL Databases