On choosing a SQL backend

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

On choosing a SQL backend

Postby Morley » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:25 pm

Now that Servoy comes bundled with iAnywhere, it would seem obvious to use iAnywhere to build a new Servoy solution.

But how transferable would such a structure be for a future client who prefers some other brand of SQL? Are there matters I should prepare in iAnywhere that will make future transfers easier? Or am I anticipating non-existant gotchas?

Also, I'm unclear whether Sybase requires licensing fees if our Servoy solution is deployed commercially.

Regards,

Morley Chalmers
Morley

Postby stephan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:41 pm

The database backend should be transparent because Servoy uses a JDBC driver to connect to the database. I think that the only requirement is that the database needs to be transactional.

I have successfully tested Servoy on MySQL and Oracle (except for a stange bug which I might be the only one to suffer).
stephan

Re: On choosing a SQL backend

Postby bcusick » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:08 pm

Morley wrote:Now that Servoy comes bundled with iAnywhere, it would seem obvious to use iAnywhere to build a new Servoy solution.

But how transferable would such a structure be for a future client who prefers some other brand of SQL? Are there matters I should prepare in iAnywhere that will make future transfers easier? Or am I anticipating non-existant gotchas?

You can develop in Sybase and deploy to ANY OTHER database system that your customer can make a connection to (Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, OpenBase, FrontBase, Postgre, etc, etc.). The thing to keep in mind - is try not to use reserved words for field or relation names (see the appendix of the user guide or the online help for a reserved word list). Generally if you use anything with an underscore in it (i.e. my_field) then you'll be fine.

Morley wrote:Also, I'm unclear whether Sybase requires licensing fees if our Servoy solution is deployed commercially.

If your customer buys one or more Servoy Client Licences - then there is no charge to use the Sybase ASA database with your SERVOY application. If they also want to use the same database for their website, or other uses, then they need to purchase a license for that separately.

Bob Cusick
bcusick

Re: On choosing a SQL backend

Postby Morley » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:34 pm

Thanks, that really helps. Especially pointing out that potential "gotcha" of reserved field names.
Morley

Return to SQL Databases