Need help configuring database server URL (Mac OS X/MySQL)

Questions and answers regarding general SQL and backend databases

Need help configuring database server URL (Mac OS X/MySQL)

Postby brad » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:47 pm

I have been unable to successfully configure a remote database server in Edit:Preferences:Application Preferences:DB Servers.

I have, however, been able to successfully configure a local database server (localhost).

My development computer and test database server are set up similarly:
Mac OS X 10.2.6
MySQL 4.0.13
Servoy Developer (v. R2 1.01-build 256 - Demo)

First, I used the "Auto Setup Server" and entered a Server Name, and the User Name and Password for MySQL on my development computer. It worked perfectly the first time. The relevant settings were:

Database Server URL: jdbc:mysql://localhost/test
Driver: org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

Next, I tried to configure the settings for the remote test server (another computer on the LAN) by replacing "localhost" with the IP for the remote computer. So the setting for the remote configuration was changed to read:

Database Server URL: jdbc:mysql://192.168.2.120/test

The driver setting was not changed.

When I try to save these settings, I get an error dialog ("Cannot setup server"). When I click on the details button, the error message is "java.sql.SQLException: Server configuration denies access to data source".

The user, password, and database name are all valid. I can successfully connect to the database at the command line (Terminal), or PHPMyAdmin.

Can you tell what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

Brad Conley
brad

Re: Need help configuring database server URL (Mac OS X/MySQ

Postby david » Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:36 pm

brad wrote:The user, password, and database name are all valid. I can successfully connect to the database at the command line (Terminal), or PHPMyAdmin.

You are using a user that is only valid for the localhost. Change the scope of that user/password combo or create a new user with access privileges from an external IP address. Read to docs on the "grant" statement for MySQL.

- david
david

Return to SQL Databases