Servoy 5.2 - Postgre SQL won't start

Questions and Answers on installation, deployment, management, locking, tranasactions of Servoy Application Server

Servoy 5.2 - Postgre SQL won't start

Postby dlmonroe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:24 am

I just installed Servoy 5.2 on a Windows 7 64-bit machine, and the repository doesn't start. I searched through the forum and found people with similar issues, but none of the proposed solutions worked for me. (Servoy always installed completely--It just couldn't connect to any Postgres databases.)

The application server log shows the following error:
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.

The real problem is that Postgres is starting, but the initialization fails, so a database server connection can't be made. When monitoring the processes, a couple instances of postgres.exe show up for a few seconds, then they disappear from the process list. The postgres_log.txt file shows:
Code: Select all
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2010-12-05 17:37:48 PST
FATAL:  the database system is starting up
LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections
LOG:  autovacuum launcher started
FATAL:  role "David" does not exist
... (the above line is listed about 60 times) ...
LOG:  received smart shutdown request
LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2010-12-05 17:39:57 PST
LOG:  could not rename file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.2128" to "pg_xlog/000000010000000000000001" (initialization of log file 0, segment 1): Permission denied

I've tried giving "Everyone" full permissions to the C:\Servoy folder and reinstalling, but nothing changes. I have administrative rights, and the database folder contains all the files it's supposed to. I was able to install and run Servoy 5.2 on another Windows 7 machine without any problems, although it's running the 32-bit version of Windows 7.

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I have both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Java 6u22 installed. However, these should be completely independent of each other, so I wouldn't think it would have any effect on Servoy (or Postgres).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
David
dlmonroe

Re: Servoy 5.2 - Postgre SQL won't start

Postby lvostinar » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:56 pm

So the database folder is empty ? Windows 7 should not have permissions problems on C:\Servoy.
Laurian Vostinar
Servoy
lvostinar

Postby dlmonroe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:37 pm

No, the database folder is not empty. That seems to be where my problem differs from similar symptoms that others have experienced. It doesn't appear to be a permissions problem during installation. Everything looks like it installed fine. Postgre SQL just dies shortly after starting when I open Servoy Developer.
dlmonroe

Postby Thomas Parry » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:59 pm

It sounds like the Servoy postgres installation is for 32 bit. Why not try installing a stand alone 64bit version of the Postgres install? You will then have to replace the Servoy provider driver with the appropriate one for the 64 bit Postgres (assume your will use version 9.x rather than the Servoy provided Postgres version 8.4)
Tom Parry
Prospect IT
Java/C++/Servoy/Jasper Reports/Simulation/Service Applications
http://www.prospect-saas.biz
Thomas Parry

Postby dlmonroe » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:32 pm

The version of Postgres installed with Servoy is the 32-bit version. I'll see if installing the standalone 64-bit version of Postgres helps.
dlmonroe

Postby dlmonroe » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:02 am

I uninstalled Servoy and re-installed without the database. Then I installed the 64-bit version of Postgres 9.0.1. After a bit of additional configuration, the problem is now fixed. I created a repository_server, imported a test project, and everything is working fine. It would have been nice to have the sample databases available since I'm fairly new to Servoy, but that's another project for another time.

It seems a bit odd that other Windows 7 64-bit users haven't experienced the same problem (at least not that I could find in my searches). My Windows 7 installation was a new clean installation, so there shouldn't have been anything interfering with Servoy installing or operating properly.

David
dlmonroe

Postby Jan Blok » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 am

Its very hard for us to tell what's going wrong at your end, I have windows 7 (64bit) en java (64 bit) and a clean Servoy install runs just fine...
We do already install 64bit eclipse java libs and perhaps we will ship a 64 bit version of postgress in Servoy 6.0, but it just should run fine as as currently.
Jan Blok
Servoy
Jan Blok

Postby p.scaramuzzino » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:40 pm

I have a similar problem with Servoy 6.0.5 build 1230.
I'm trying to use the bundled pg installation, but the sample db are unusable and would return the same error message.
I'm using W7 32bit.

Any clue?
p.scaramuzzino

Return to Servoy Server